Ryan Wagner

Ryan Wagner and the rest of the Badger seniors' Wisconsin careers ended after a loss in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament to Michigan.

Badgers force tie with Michigan, drop point in shootout

Wisconsin battled back to tie game at four in regulation

The Wisconsin Badgers tied the Michigan Wolverines 4-4 in a back-and-forth battle Saturday night at the Kohl Center.

Although Michigan won the shootout and earned an extra point in the Big Ten standings, the Badgers earned a point for forcing overtime.

Wisconsin fell behind four times throughout the game and answered each deficit with a goal of their own.

Similar to Friday night, Michigan’s Tyler Motte opened up the scoring with a shorthanded goal late in the first period.

In the early moments of the second period, Wisconsin’s Luke Kunin responded with a goal to even the score. Both teams scored once more in the period to push the score 2-2 entering the third period of play.

In the last period, both Michigan’s JT Compher and Wisconsin’s Ryan Wagner each netted goals in the first minute of play to get things going. With 10 minutes left in the game, Michigan’s Dexter Dancs put the Wolverines ahead by a score with a goal.

Things began to look bleak for the Badgers until Kunin blasted a close-chance shot past the Michigan goaltender with 27 seconds left to force overtime.

The Wolverines ultimately went on to win the shootout and earn an extra point in the standings.

Wisconsin will face Michigan State next weekend at the Kohl Center.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.