Bazzel_Darrell13_2699
Darrell Bazzell, vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is pictured on Feb. 1, 2013. (Photo by Bryce Richter / UW-Madison)

Vice Chancellor Bazzell to leave UW-Madison in March

This March, UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Darrell Bazzell will be leaving the university after 13 years of service.

Bazzell will be transitioning to the role of senior vice president and chief financial advisor for the University of Texas at Austin, according to a UW news release.

Since 2003, Bazzell has served as UW-Madison’s chief financial officer and has been responsible for the supervision of various aspects of the university's administrative, student-life and auxiliary functions. These include overseeing budget, human resources, housing, health services and facilities planning.

Bazzell, who received his bachelor’s degree in sociology from UW-Madison in 1984, said he has been able to take on the responsibilities of vice chancellor for finance and administration from the viewpoint of a former student, as well as a professional.

“I’ve been fortunate to serve my alma mater for all of these years,” Bazzell said in the statement. “After 31 years in state government, it was time to assess my future goals and this new opportunity.”

One of the successes Bazzell said he is most proud of is the First Wave multicultural arts program. First Wave provides a series of hip-hop art programs, such as regular open mic nights on campus.

“It was one of my goals to help give student of color a voice, and the program has done that and so much more,” Bazzell said.

Bazzell’s work outside of the university was also extensive, whether it be his efforts to promote high-quality campus services or his active stance in numerous community service and professional organizations.

Bazzell is set to finish his role at UW-Madison on March 6 and will be starting his role for the University of Texas at Austin in April.