university ave

The 600 block of University Avenue, where the robbery occurred, is located just east of campus.

Drug deal turns into robbery

A 24-year-old man was robbed of his gun and money on the 600 block of University Avenue early Sunday morning, money with which he was hoping to buy marijuana.

An incident report filed Tuesday by Madison Police Department Information Officer Joel DeSpain said the man was robbed around 2:10 a.m.

“The victim said he had hoped to purchase drugs, but instead of producing any pot, the ‘dealers’ ended up grabbing his money and taking a gun from a pocket,” DeSpain said in the report. “The robbers got into a car and drove away.”

The report also noted the victim had a concealed carry permit. It did not, however, note whether or not the victim was arrested for “hoping to buy marijuana.”

To “casually possess” marijuana in a private place is permitted by the Madison Code of Ordinances. Casual possession is defined as up to 28 grams of cannabis or 112 grams of marijuana. Casual possession in a public space results in a fine of up to $100 and is not considered a crime.

City codes do ban the possession and distribution of synthetic chemical cannabinoids in accordance with state statutes. Distribution and possession of these chemicals, more commonly known under street names of “Route 69,” “Smoke XXXX” and “Scooby Snacks” according to the codes, can result in personal fines up to $1,000.

MPD is still looking for two suspects in the case.