grads

A national organization named UW-Madison as a leader in improving graduation rates for underrepresented students. 

Report details increase in underrepresented student graduation rate

The national nonprofit advocacy organization The Education Trust released a report Wednesday naming UW-Madison as a national leader in improving graduation rates for underrepresented and overall students.

In the report titled “Rising Tide: Do College Grad Rate Gains Benefit All Students?" the organization detailed the change in six-year graduation rates for first-time, full-time students at four-year public institutions across the past 10 years, according to a UW-Madison release.

The graduation rates for underrepresented groups including black, Latino and Native American students reached 68.3 percent from 2003 to 2013. UW-Madison’s overall four-year graduation rate is currently 60.3 percent, an increase from last year’s 57.1 percent, according to the release.

"UW-Madison's long history of focused effort on student success has seen increased reliance by student affairs and student services personnel on data-driven decision-making," said Ruby Paredes, the interim associate vice provost, division of diversity, equity & educational achievement. "The analysis of student data and success indicators has been particularly important in identifying areas of student need.”