Bill Greer

Bill Greer

Madison mental health leader wins leadership award

The longtime head of the local Journey Mental Health Center won a public service award Monday.

William Greer, who has worked as president and CEO of the nationally recognized treatment clinic, received the honor at a Common Council meeting Tuesday.

The Jeffrey Clay Erlanger Civility and Public Discourse Award honors the late chair of the Commission on People with Disabilities.  

Erlanger passed away in 2007, and the city created the award to model his model of public discourse.

"After reading the application nominating Bill and hearing incredible anecdotes about his work - and his style, we are very excited about his selection," Erlanger's mother, Pam, said in a statement. "His gentle, respectful approach to problem solving and community building truly honor Jeff's legacy."

Greer is an active member of 100 Black Men of Madison, Inc. and works in various support programs.

"It is always very humbling to honor Jeff's memory with this award and I think Bill Greer is an excellent choice," Madison Mayor Paul Soglin said in a Tuesday statement. "He has worked with providers, policy makers, and clients for 40 years with respect and integrity. He embodies Jeff's passion for speaking out for the disenfranchised."