WBSU SSFC

The Wisconsin Black Student Union aims to better the environment for black students on campus.

Wisconsin Black Student Union organizes new campus-wide events

Members of the student organization Wisconsin Black Student Union are using their first year as a General Student Services Fund group to further their goal of fostering an environment on campus that better suits the needs of black students.

Members presented their proposed 2016-’17 budget to the Student Services Finance Committee Nov. 19, the group’s first time requesting money from the GSSF.

WBSU has an executive board led by president and UW-Madison sophomore Marquise Mays and vice president Adetola Coker, along with approximately six other employees for the upcoming academic year.

The group is looking to continue its relationship with the National Black Student Union which, according to its website, seeks to enhance the quality of life for undergraduate collegiate students. Mays said the group would like to send about four members to an annual NBSU conference in the future, depending on its location.

Mays and Coker said the group holds several events each year and aims to recruit and retain students of all backgrounds interested in black student issues.

WBSU is looking to celebrate Black History Month in February 2016 by holding the Black Knowledge Bowl in Ogg Residence Hall, where approximately 50 students will spend an evening answering trivia questions on black history.

“The purpose of the Black Knowledge Bowl during Black History Month is to strengthen the camaraderie among students here while engaging in a high impact learning activity,” Coker said. “This program benefits the campus at large by educating students on black culture through African American oriented events.”

The Ebony Ball is one of the most highly anticipated of these events where an expected 200 students will have the chance to see various cultural dances and performances in Spring 2016, Mays said.

WBSU plans to hold a series of smaller events throughout the academic year, including monthly board meetings, study sessions and Talk To Me Tuesday, which doesn’t require funds but allows open discussion and interactive activities on current events. Members are also introducing a new event called Women’s History Month Appreciation Dinner.

SSFC members approved WBSU’s proposed 2016-’17 budget with a vote of 9-0 with two abstentions and a final budget of $26,375.55, according to an ASM press release.

“Marquise worked very hard in preparing WBSU to grow as an organization,” SSFC Vice Chair Brett DuCharme said in the release. “[The organization] has combined a clean vision with concrete goals to ensure the programming will last past his time here on campus.”