Haleigh Nelson

Senior middle blocker Haleigh Nelson had seven blocks in Wisconsin's dominating win over Illinois. 

UW coaches discuss upcoming schedule

Men’s Hockey

Wisconsin (3-4-3 overall) traveled to Grand Forks, N.D., last weekend where they achieved a series split against No. 1 North Dakota (7-1-2). 

Head coach Mike Eaves was very proud of the way his young team handled business on the ice against North Dakota and looks forward to how Wisconsin can take a victory against the No. 1 team in the country and build on it this week in practice. 

“And the message to our young people this week is to celebrate the fact that we defeated the No. 1 team on Friday and even though we lost, our goal this week is to get better,” Eaves said. 

When asked whether securing a victory against the top team permanently raised the bar for Wisconsin, Eaves made it clear that higher level of play will be a team-wide expectation. 

“No question, I think even the boys would tell that to you — our mission from a hockey standpoint is to play ‘championship hockey’ because if you do that, you can get where to you want to be, then you can set your goals that you want to set,” Eaves said. 

Volleyball

Wisconsin (10-4 Big Ten, 18-6 overall) extended its current win streak to six games last weekend with home victories against No. 25 Michigan (6-8, 16-9) and Michigan State (6-8, 14-11). 

Junior middle blocker Haleigh Nelson has been an important piece to Wisconsin thus far in the season and head coach Kelly Sheffield thought she had never played better. 

“She has always been a relentless blocker but her movement is getting crisper. I see her confidence -- she wants the ball in big moments, and that’s a big difference that I’ve seen from her and her past,” Sheffield said. 

The team has made a commitment to improving its serving overall, and Sheffield spoke about how he would like to see better consistency in that department. 

“Individually I think we have become better servers. What I don’t think we’ve done up to this point is where we put it all together, you know? I think we got to get to that point. We’ve got Haleigh, match in and match night, and you know she is going to be able to put some pressure on the opposing team. Just about everybody else, it kind of comes and goes,” Sheffield said. 

Wisconsin will be on the road this week for a quick turnaround against Michigan Wednesday night in Ann Arbor. 

Women’s Hockey

Coming off a restful weekend with no games, No. 1 Wisconsin (8-0 WCHA, 10-0 overall) prepares for an upcoming series at Minnesota Duluth (2-4, 4-6).

Head coach Mark Johnson thought that a bye weekend was very useful for the team at this point in the season.

“Took this past weekend off and it gives us an opportunity as players to reflect and coaches to reflect on where we are at this particular point — It came at a good time, the players are at a good place,” Johnson said. 

Junior goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens has been a stalwart in the net this year, as she currently holds a seven-game shutout streak.

“Goaltending is a position that takes a lot of time but Ann has put herself in position to accomplish some of her goals,” Johnson said. 

UMD has notoriously been a tough team for Wisconsin, as Johnson claimed that every game between the two teams has been competitive and “we’ve probably had more overtime games against Duluth than any other team we’ve played.”

Women’s Basketball

Wisconsin handled Minnesota State Mankato with ease at the Kohl Center last Sunday, winning 84-48. 

Exhibition games are usually tough, according to head coach Bobbie Kelsey, because the matches against the mostly Division II and Division III teams are not very competitive. Still, Wisconsin was impressive last Sunday, including redshirt junior Avyanna Young who had 15 points on 6-of-13 shooting. 

“She probably could have had 25 points. She hasn’t played in a year. She’s only going to get better,” Kelsey said. 

Wisconsin looks forward to one more exhibition game against Wisconsin-Eau Claire Wednesday before opening the regular season next Saturday at home against Louisiana Tech.

Kelsey did not chalk up the upcoming regular season debut against the Conference USA competitor as a guaranteed easy, early-season win.

“They’re a formidable opponent. They have a post player who is very good. Have some transfers at guard,” Kelsey said.