North Dakota poses dangerous threat to UW's win streak

After a much-needed sweep of Arizona State last weekend, Wisconsin (2-3-3) will take its momentum West as it prepares for the nation’s top-ranked team, North Dakota (6-0-2), Friday and Saturday.

Last season the Badgers dropped both matchups with North Dakota in Madison by scores of 4-3 and 5-1, respectively.

However, after last weekend’s strong showing, Wisconsin’s spirits are flying high.

“The lesson tonight falls in the category of a young team learning how to win when things aren't going in the net,” head coach Mike Eaves said following Wisconsin’s 2-1 win over the Sun Devils Saturday.

If the Badgers hope to skate to success this weekend, they will need to figure out more ways to score. UW is averaging 2.4 goals per game, whereas UND has netted 3.6 goals per game.

Under the guidance of rookie head coach Brad Berry, UND is off to a hot start. Senior forward Drake Caggiula and freshman forward Brock Boeser have paved the way for early season success on the offensive end. Caggiula has posted nine points in eight games while Boeser is tied for the team lead in goals scored with five.

Equally as critical to North Dakota’s success this season has been the play of goaltender Matt Hrynkiw. The junior goalie from Saskatchewan is conceding just 1.48 goals per game and has started all but three games for North Dakota this year.

As for the Badgers, their game plan will consist of what worked well last weekend, as they will look to continue create offensive opportunities for both junior forward Grant Besse and sophomore forward Ryan Wagner.

In UW’s two wins over the weekend, Besse and Wagner combined for three of the seven Badger goals.

This weekend figures to be a pivotal one for a surging Wisconsin squad. All that separates the UW from conference play is a two-game stint against No. 12 Denver.

Although the Badgers lead the all-time head-to-head series 86-64-11, Wisconsin will travel to Grand Forks as major underdogs in both games.