Vince Biegel

Biegel’s flexibility key to dynamic ‘D’

Senior outside linebacker Joe Schobert may lead the Wisconsin defense in sacks and quarterback hits, but Vince Biegel might be even more valuable for defensive coordinator Dave Aranda.

The redshirt junior is listed as an outside linebacker on the team’s roster, but that position title doesn’t tell the whole story of his impact on this defense. It’s his main position, but his versatility allows him to do so much more, and he’s been moved around more and more as the season has gone on.

In their last game game against Maryland, Biegel played more than 40 percent of his snaps with his hand in the dirt on the defensive line at the “4i” defensive end spot in their nickel personnel. The 4i technique is lined up over the offensive tackle (four technique) but shaded to the inside (indicated with the lowercase “i”). It’s not directly between the guard and the tackle (three technique), it’s just an inside shade on the tackle.

With Biegel up on the defensive line, it gives the Badgers’ 2-4-5 “Peso” package (two defensive linemen, four linebackers, five defensive backs) more of a 3-3-5 look with three down and three off the line of scrimmage.

“That game in particular, I was playing a lot more hand-in-the-dirt,” Biegel said. “We did not expect to run as much heavy, three-point stance for myself—heavy 4i—but it ended up working like that, and at the end of the day, I’ll play any position.”

Aranda has experimented with Biegel on the defensive line over the last two years, but the game before the bye against the Terrapins was the most he’s been used there thus far. It puts him right up on the line of scrimmage in the thick of the offensive line.

The added interior rush he provides from the 4i technique collapses the pocket in the face of the quarterback and forces the passer outside, usually towards the direction of Schobert. Against Maryland, when Biegel was lined up on the defensive line, Schobert or redshirt senior outside linebacker Jesse Hayes was always lined up on the opposite side of the defense from him, bringing the heat from both sides.

“I’ve learned to kind of mold my three-point stance over the last two years, and it’s dramatically more improved this year than it was last year,” Biegel said. “I’m about 10 pounds heavier, I’m a lot more experienced, and I’ve worked with [defensive line] coach Inoke [Breckterfield].”

Playing at the 4i is not the only way that Biegel has been able to bring pressure up the middle. In addition to the numerous stunts that Aranda runs, he’ll also bring his outside linebackers inside, stacking them over the center to show interior pressure.

They only show it a couple times per game, but it has been effective. They have the two defensive ends work on the guards, leaving the center to take on both Biegel and Schobert coming up the middle. Offenses often leave a running back in to take on whichever one the center can’t, and that’s a mismatch that Wisconsin wins more often than not.

Biegel’s game has developed beyond just his pass rushing. He is arguably this defense’s most disruptive run defender, making an impact there that doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet, as he forces running backs into the arms of his teammates.

In pass coverage, too, the fourth-year defender is much improved. He appears to have a better understanding of space in the open field in zone, and in man coverage he has yet to be burned for a big gain this year.

“Last year, I was blitzing almost every single play, maybe dropping a few times, and now it’s almost 50-50,” he said. “That was one big focus for myself, coach Aranda, and [outside linebackers] coach [Tim] Tibesar—improving my ability to drop into coverage. I feel comfortable at it, and I’ll continue to improve at it every single day.”

If Biegel continues to improve, UW’s defense will be set. But NFL scouts have their eyes on Biegel, and if he doesn’t leave early for the draft this year, he’ll be gone after next season. Fortunately for the Badgers, they have his heir waiting in the wings.

“T.J. [Watt] takes on a very similar role to me,” Biegel said. “He plays in the 4i, he plays at stand-up outside linebacker. We play the exact same role, and he does a very nice job at it.”

The youngest Watt, a redshirt sophomore, played quarterback, tight end, linebacker and punter in high school, but now on the other side of the football, he’s found a new role that he is succeeding in. He has a very similar build to Biegel, and the coaching staff is hoping he can learn a thing or two from the more experienced rusher.

Watt also has a bit of a bloodline to fall back on, especially at the defensive end position. There certainly can be some pressure that comes with playing the same position as your future NFL Hall of Fame brother, but T.J. might be a little more Vince than J.J.

“I’m really excited about what his future is. I gave him all I know, I’ve helped him along the way, but T.J. is a self-made man,” Biegel said. “He’s his own person at the end of the day, and he wants to be recognized for T.J. Watt, not J.J. Watt.”

Most coaches would be thrilled to have one versatile pass rusher like Biegel, but Aranda might have a second one developing in Watt. Joe Schobert’s impact shows up more in the box score, but Biegel plays everywhere for this defense, and he’s helping to mold the future at his very fluid position on the constantly evolving Wisconsin Badger defense.