Aziz

Aziz Ansari, who garnered fame on “Parks and Recreation,” wrote and starred in “Master of None.”

Ansari shines as a self-made 'Master of None'

Aziz Ansari is a man of many talents. Many know him as the lovable, goofy Tom Haverford from “Parks and Recreation,” a show that never fails to distribute belly laughs by the handful, leaving viewers itching for more since the series’ end. Now the time has come for Ansari to move on to bigger—dare I say better—projects. He recently debuted a Netflix original series, “Master of None,” which he wrote, starred in and occasionally directed. In other words, this is his opportunity to prove his capabilities to the world, and believe me when I say that he has gone above and beyond.

In contrast to “Parks and Recreation,” his comedy trades in silly jokes for thought-provoking satire. “Master of None” succeeds in finding hilarity in awkward life situations that are not only real, but also relatable.The comedy is not obvious or wacky, like his “Parks and Recreation” persona, but subtler and more refined. Each episode is presented like its own unique short film with a different topic per segment. They also include stylistic narrative choices, including periodic flashbacks, time lapses and alternate realities. The episodes explore American societal quirks, including cultural differences, the different stages of life  and relationships in general. As I watched, it became apparent that the stories he penned must have been inspired by experiences in his own life. The content gives new insight on the trivialities of adult realities, and the result is a new brand of comedy that feels sincere and personal.

Ansari’s character, Dev, is at the point in his life where he feels he must find his purpose. He is an actor who resorts to working in commercials, but feels unfulfilled. This is a critical time in anyone’s life, and Dev’s specific experiences are raw and emotionally engaging. The friends and strange acquaintances that surround him serve as roads he could take and lives he could live. Ansari cast his real-life parents as Dev’s parents, which he said has immensely improved their relationship outside of the show, resulting in an on-screen relationship that is all the more endearing. There is also a slew of colorful guest stars, such as Claire Danes and a couple of familiar faces from “Orange Is the New Black,” who bring more strange characters into the mix.

Overall, “Master of None” is a commentary on the complexities of relationships in our society. Just like real life, it is a mixed bag of emotions that can feel lighthearted and comedic, as well as painful and disappointing. Ansari has created a comedy that proves it can be deep, rising to the level of emotional sophistication we rarely see comedies attempt to reach. In the words of Tom Haverford, do yourself a favor and “treat yo’self” to this powerful new series.