Retention grads

Not only has UW-Madison's freshman-sophomore year retention rate increased according to fall 2015 data, students' average time to graduate is now quicker as well.

UW-Madison freshman retention, graduation rate increase

More than 95 percent of Badgers returned to campus this fall after their freshman year at UW-Madison, an increase from the previous academic school year.

The Office of Academic Planning and Institutional Research at UW-Madison released fall 2015 enrollment numbers, which showed the university had a freshman-sophomore year retention rate of 95.8 percent, an increase from 95.3 percent the previous year, according to a UW-Madison release.

UW-Madison’s average time to degree is the lowest in university records at 4.13 years, decreased from last year’s data of 4.16 years.

“These metrics are viewed as indicators of quality of the educational experience and represent a focus on student success by all of the faculty and staff who work with and teach undergraduates,” UW-Madison Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf said in the release. “Our faculty, staff and students have worked tremendously hard to achieve these outcomes.”

The university’s four-year graduation rate increased from 57.1 percent to 60.3 percent this year, with a total of 10,542 degrees awarded.

“We look forward to talking with state policymakers on how we can continue the positive trends and best serve the state of Wisconsin,” Mangelsdorf said in the release.