Record Routine: Neon Indian takes an intergalactic journey, legitimizes chillwave genre

The chillwave label has been tossed around quite loosely as of late–any band adopting those whirly synths and cheeky basslines immediately becoming arbiters for a movement to prove the 80’s never truly died. The sudden surge characterized 2009, with founding fathers Washed Out, Toro y Moi and Neon Indian pioneering the psychedelic dance fever. Neon Indian’s Alan Palomo debuted Psychic Chasms as a lackadaisical trod through soundscapes, mutually original and retro. A song like “Deadbeat Summer” established his purposefully apathetic sound, humorously trapped within the virtual space-age dreams of previous generations. Palomo would revisit the sound on Era Extraña, but decidedly less cheerful day-tripping, and more apprehensive voyager with a heavy case of sea-sickness. Neon Indian returns with electrifying confidence on VEGA INTL. Night School, Palomo’s most well-rounded work yet.

VEGA INTL. blends the glittery synths of Neon Indian’s debut with one of Palomo’s other, more dance pop-oriented projects, VEGA. The merger allows Palomo to paint the walls with those oh-so familiar lo-fi layers while engaging listeners with catchy grooves that seem a bit too clean-cut for the Neon Indian formula. But then again, everything seems a bit too clear-headed this time around. Now, Palomo is less an accessory of the music he envelops himself in, and more like the ring leader of this sporadic dance show. The introspective wanderer on Era Extraña emerges four years later with a hubris for the spotlight, extending an invitation through the hazy nightclub where he intends to extract all of your desire to shake and groove until the sun rises.

There’s an astounding amount of energy flowing through VEGA INTL. Night School, even on atmospheric tracks like opener “Hit Parade,” and there is seldom a lull in pacing or direction. Palomo intends to keep it that way, exquisitely blending track-to-track transitions, like those between “Smut!”; “Bozo” and “The Glitzy Hive.” The transitions let you momentarily catch your breath before jumping back into the heat of it. Neon Indian has no intent of slowing down here, but that doesn’t speak for Palomo’s willingness to switch things up. A neo-reggae beat drives the search for a missing girl on “Annie,” an inebriating mist coats the club-friendly romp “Techno Clique,” and eerie synths on “Slumlord” and “Slumlord’s Re-Lease” are akin to a John Carpenter soundtrack for a sci-fi cruise down intergalactic highways. There are decade’s worth of sounds here, and it all fits snuggly into Neon Indian territory.

The numerous musical styles scattered throughout appeal to an overall tone set by the nighttime, as we see the true nature of the world come to life. Palomo’s vocal contributions are exceptionally sensual, the clear provoker of these nighttime happenings. More cohesive than ever, the newly melodic Palomo rightfully captures a sound similar to R&B and pop stars of days past. Neon Indian exposes you to vices of all kinds, but each promiscuous rhythm is that much more enticing to get down to. The mischievous funk raves on through the night, until we’re sent off in a glorious ovation. Closer “News from the Sun” is the perfect nightcap, like a soulful jamboree, where Neon Indian fades into the sunrise, so full of life, as if the king of pop himself were boogying his way off stage to the cheers of thousands of happy attendants.

While groups like Neon Indian and Toro y Moi have kept a steady pace of improving and producing solid records, the chillwave genre is still the target of mockery and criticism from a number of crowds. Some of it is warranted, but VEGA INTL. Night School should do a good job of silencing critics. It’s a constant source of exhilaration, danceable from beginning to end, and the assortment of styles keeps it refreshing. Where many artists have had their go at capturing the sound of an era, Palomo takes the foundation of his revivalist sound and truly extracts the soul and essence of the 80’s. This may be Neon Indian’s biggest departure, but it still holds firm ties to where the band began. It sounds like a natural progression not only for Palomo, but for the genre overall. VEGA INTL. Night School is sure to bring some legitimacy to a genre that has fought to establish itself.

Rating: A