Ogunbowale steps up for limping Badgers

In a season plagued with injuries, the Badgers seemingly suffered their worst loss with the announcement that highly touted starting junior running back Corey Clement would miss significant time after surgery to repair a lingering sports hernia injury. To compound the damage, redshirt freshman running back Taiwan Deal suffered an ankle injury in UW’s comeback win at Nebraska.

In order to keep competing each week, the Badgers, especially at the running back position, have had to emulate the “next man up” philosophy that head coach Paul Chryst preaches to his team. Redshirt junior running back Dare Ogunbowale continued to do just that in the Badgers’ 24-7 home victory over Purdue. With Clement and Deal out of the lineup, Ogunbowale carried the load, rushing the ball 18 times for 56 yards.

With time expiring in the third quarter, Wisconsin held a slim lead over Purdue 10-7, and the Badgers needed a big play to give themselves a two possession lead. Ogunbowale saw his opportunity, and came up with his most important run of the day–breaking two tackles on an inside handoff, then carrying a pile of Purdue defenders into the end zone for a 4-yard touchdown.

Impressively, Ogunbowale’s contributions were not limited to the run. After redshirt senior quarterback Joel Stave threw an interception in the first quarter, he needed some easy check downs to help restore his confidence. Ogunbowale provided that consistently, as the screen game became extremely effective for the Badgers. Ogunbowale finished with six receptions totaling 51 yards.

Despite not reaching 100 yards rushing, Ogunbowale’s balance on the ground and through the air helped the Badgers consistently move the chains, put points on the board and ultimately secure a victory. While Clement may be on the verge of returning, Ogunbowale will continue to play an important role in UW’s offense.