Tommy Armstrong

Tommy Armstrong Jr. threw for a season-high 368 yards and two touchdowns in Nebraska’s 36-28 win over Southern Miss.

Big Ten Player of the Week: Armstrong shines against Southern Miss

With a combined 431 yards of total offense, junior quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. led the Nebraska Cornhuskers to a much needed 36-28 win over Southern Miss last Saturday. 

Finishing the game 23-of-35 passing for 368 yards and two touchdowns as well as running for 63 yards and a touchdown, Armstrong is deserving of MVP honors for the Big Ten this week.

With his dual-threat abilities, Armstrong allowed Nebraska to pull away from the stingy Golden Eagles, who came back from a 22-point deficit in the 4th quarter. The quarterback simply shredded the abysmal Southern Miss defense and, despite throwing an interception, he still completed over 65 percent of his passes.

With the Golden Eagle deficient pass defense, junior wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp benefited and went off for 11 receptions for 118 yards and a touchdown.  Armstrong delivered a much-needed win for the Cornhuskers after they started the season 1-2 under new head coach Mike Riley. 

The 6-foot-1-inch, 220-pound quarterback continues to improve his passing game, and ranks eighth in the FBS in passing yards, seventh in the FBS in passing touchdowns and in the top 20 in the FBS in completions. 

Armstrong will have plenty of opportunities Saturday to shine once again, as Nebraska faces a lackluster Illinois defense in Champaign.