Drew Conner

Senior midfielder Drew Conner helped Wisconsin jump out 2-0 in the first half, but Green Bay came roaring back, scoring three unanswered goals to steal the win. 

Badgers squander early lead, suffer loss to Green Bay

The Badgers (1-1-0 Big Ten, 2-7-0 overall) jumped out to a two-goal lead and looked to be playing some of their best soccer of the season, but it was not enough, as in-state rival Green Bay (0-1-1 Horizon League, 2-5-2 overall) scored three unanswered goals and beat the Badgers 3-2 Wednesday at the McClimon Sports Complex.

Senior midfielder Drew Conner and sophomore forward Mark Segbers gave Wisconsin a two-goal lead just 19 minutes into the contest.

This was Conner’s first goal of the season and his first run-of-play goal since 2013. He scored twice last year, both of them coming on penalty shots. 

Segbers has been quiet this year but he was able to record his second goal of the season just a couple minutes after Conner landed one in the net. Segbers is now tied with fellow sophomore Christopher Mueller for the team lead in points. With this lead, the Badgers looked to be taking control of their in-state rival. 

The Green Bay Phoenix did not surrender, however, scoring three unanswered goals to complete a hard-fought comeback. Phoenix goal scorers were junior midfielder Audi Jepson, junior forward William Nordenstrom and senior forward Cheenuj Shong. Shong played well all game and served as a catalyst for the stunner. 

The Badgers saw two penalty kick opportunities and converted on neither. The first shot, taken by Conner, was saved by the foot of the Phoenix goalkeeper. The second shot was taken by Mueller and could have tied the game with nearly 15 minutes remaining in the contest, but his shot missed high and wide-left. 

“We missed two penalty kicks and we’ve now given up 18 goals in half a season. We’ve got to be better defensively and we’ve got to put away our chances, especially penalty kicks,” UW head coach John Trask said. “We had plenty of chances to make it 3-1. We didn’t do it. They hung around and did just enough to get back in the game and win the game. Compliment to Green Bay.”

Not letting the lead kill their intensity, the Phoenix tallied a goal in the 31st minute off the foot of Jepson to bring the game within one score. 

Wisconsin had chances to score late in the first half. Conner nearly placed a gem in the back of the net from midfield when he saw the the Green Bay keeper was too far off the line. The shot missed by inches and would have once again given the Badgers a two-goal lead. Conner also had his penalty kick saved in the late stages of the half.

The Phoenix looked like a different team in the second half. They played with poise and truly looked like the better team. Just four minutes into the second half Green Bay tied the game with a goal from Nordenstrom. 

Shong stole the show for the Phoenix and stole the game from the Badgers. In the 55th minute,  Shong put his team in the lead with a long-distance shot that beat Wisconsin keeper Adrian Remeniuk on his left side. 

“We don’t seem to be resolute for 90 minutes. We’ve talked about it many times with these guys,” Trask said. “We seem to carry poor performances every game. I think some guys showed up tonight.” 

The Badgers look to build from this game as they head on the road to play Big Ten opponent Michigan Oct. 3 at 1 p.m.