Sojourn Shelton

After a rough sophomore season, Sojourn Shelton has impressed so far in his junior campaign. 

Badger Bio: Shelton acclimating well to Wisconsin

As the leaves of the trees continue to change, the Wisconsin football season rolls on. The temperatures are slowly starting to drop, a source of dread for students everywhere. But for junior Sojourn Shelton, who hails from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, the seasons of Madison were a welcome change.

“It’s pretty cool. It’s different from Florida, I can tell you that. Just being able to be part of the seasons and stuff like that,” said Shelton. “See the fall, see stuff change; it’s kind of different. I actually like it. I get to see all types of things that I haven’t seen before.”

It’s no secret that Wisconsin winters can be absolutely brutal. The piercing cold of Madison is one of this city’s few downsides and for students from out of state, especially warm regions, the consecutive days of single-digit temps can lead to endless sadness. Shelton has acclimated though and even embraces the bitter winter.

“I mean, of course when it’s cold, it’s cold, but it’s something that I’ve gotten used to a little bit,” said Shelton. “I’m happy that I’m getting the experience. It doesn’t really get cold down in Florida; you just have to deal with the heat a lot.”

After a convincing 28-0 victory last weekend over the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, the Badgers appear to be building yet another ferocious defense. Shelton has played a key role in all three games, locking down the opposing receivers. Unsurprisingly, his favorite NFL player is Darrelle Revis, who is widely regarded as one of the top cornerbacks in the league, if not the best.

“Playing the position, I appreciate some of the things that he does and what he can do. He’s just a great player,” said Shelton.

Off the gridiron, Shelton enjoys playing video games, especially online with his friends from Florida. He is an avid player of Madden, NBA 2K and Call of Duty.

While he doesn’t have a favorite sport, Shelton said that he likes all sports and watches whatever is in season.

“I love to watch basketball. When the World Cup and all that stuff are on, I like to watch soccer,” said Shelton. “I’m just a sports whiz in general.”

The cornerback is also a big fan of the Atlanta Falcons. He became a fan after living in Atlanta for a year when he was beginning to love the game of football.

“They follow me on Twitter. On Sundays, I’m just tweeting all about them,” said Shelton.

The Badgers have struggled offensively all season, running into several road bumps with their usually stout ground game. But their defense, save for the Alabama game, has been stellar all season. As the conference schedule begins Saturday, Wisconsin will need the defense to continue its impressive play, and Shelton will certainly use his abilities to shut down receivers and keep the Iowa offense at bay.