Affordable housing development fund awarded to four proposals

Dane County announced Monday that the $2 million Affordable Housing Development Fund was awarded to four proposals pending County Board approval, allocating $500,000 for housing for individuals released from custody and $1.5 million to three rental housing projects.

“Our goal is to ensure all of our citizens have access to all that Dane County has to offer including affordable housing,” Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said in a press release.

Nehemiah Community Development Corporation will purchase two multi-unit buildings to accommodate ex-offenders who are at a high risk for re-entry failure, recidivism and homelessness.

Housing Initiatives Inc. will purchase affordable rental housing targeted toward homeless veterans, the chronically homeless and people with mental illness, according to the release.

Gorman & Company will support its affordable housing project at the Union Corners development at Milwaukee Street and East Washington Avenue. This project includes 90 units, 76 of which will be set aside for individuals with income ranging from 30 to 60 percent of the county’s median income.

Movin’ Out, Inc. will combine the award with low-income tax credits to develop 48 income restricted housing units on the 2200 block of West Broadway and at 197 Lake Point Drive for people with physical disabilities and veterans, according to the release.

“Access to housing remains one the pressing issues facing this community. This fund allows the County to partner with the community to increase affordable housing,” County Board Chair Sharon Corrigan said in the release.

Parisi’s proposed 2016 budget is set to continue to create affordable housing by allocating $500,000 for re-entry housing and $750,000 for additional partnerships to address housing for the chronically homeless.