Social science building

The new Federal Statistical Research Data Center, one of 24 in the country, will be located inside the Sewell Social Sciences Building.

Research data center to open at UW-Madison

Wisconsin’s only data center is scheduled to open its doors on campus Monday, according to a UW-Madison release.

The Federal Statistical Research Data Center will allow researchers on campus to access records and data and conduct deeper analysis in the field of social science, according to the release. Previously, researchers had to travel to one of the other 23 FSRDCs to access the data.

The FSRDC, which will be located in the Sewell Social Sciences Building will be the only of its kind in the state and is a branch of the existing FSRDC at the University of Minnesota.

UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank discussed the center in an online post saying the FSRDC will be funded by six schools and colleges within UW-Madison rather than the National Science Foundation, as is the case with FSRDCs other universities.

Analysis done in conjunction with the UW-Madison FSRDC has the potential to help officials make decisions on public resource investment and hold beneficial data for research, according to Blank’s post.

A dedication to officially open the center is to be held at 1 p.m. in Union South Monday.

“These FSRDCs are all about providing more data and better data,” Blank wrote in her post. “To a social scientist like myself, that’s about the most exciting thing you can make happen.”