Native activists swarmed the Capitol in 2015 to protest Gov. Scott Walker's decision to reject a proposed casino from the Menominee Nation.

Night Journeys through Madison with Denzel: Wando’s brings the bacon for nightlife near Campus

At 11 a.m., it's a bar and grille, ready to serve local Wisconsin beer with juicy burgers and grilled chicken sandwiches. Activity begins low and the doors are closed, but by 8 p.m. the doors open to welcome a variety of casual locals to its venue. A large bouncer, who easily fills the entire door frame, stands to the side ready to step forward for I.Ds. The bartender, obviously enjoying the music, slaps a white towel to his shoulder and waits. By 8:15 the people have come, ready for a few rounds, likely anxious to taste the signature fishbowl. This is how Wando’s starts its week.

On the corner of University Ave. and Francis St., the bar invokes an atmosphere that may remind you of your buddy’s rec basement. To your left on entry is a jukebox, before the dark cedar counter set between two large wall-mounted TVs. Straight ahead at the end of the mid-sized room, a red-suited Jack Daniel’s statue standing beside a corner booth brought me to a chuckle. Under a few bulbs for dim lighting, the noticeably seasoned red brick walls indicate many years of success with the people. It feels good to know I’ve stepped into a popularly comfortable place, the feeling further demonstrated in the bartender’s interaction with guests.

The bartender on duty is Sam, wearing a reversed cap to match his employee t-shirt, leaning over the counter at the far end as he laughingly enjoys a loud conversation with the guests, a group of five. Two guys at the other end match the group’s energy. Though occupied, Sam, to my satisfaction, immediately notices me come in and excuses himself to welcome my arrival and ask, “So what can I get for you tonight?” From that point forward, my appreciation for the bar steadily rose.

Wando’s is a heavily active place, noticed even on my Monday night visit. I smiled at how quickly entering guests settle in, and by 11:30 p.m., groups of at least four to seven make their way from outside. When asked about his favorite quality of the venue, Sam replies, “There’s never a dull moment,” coincidentally right before people join in momentous unison to “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar. In our brief discussion of his seven years bartending for Wando’s, Sam invites me to return the following night to enjoy free bacon. Free bacon! For a moment, I thought I wasn’t maintaining my cool from the appreciated invitation, widening my eyes at the thought of a cold Miller Lite and a couple of pork slices on a saucer. Sam must have known that I was sure to accept the invitation to return.

For the most part, I enjoyed my subsequent visits to Wando’s. The three-floor bar is reserved to the first floor during the workweek, and on the very popular free bacon Tuesdays, Wando’s first two floors are at full capacity. Before the weekend, Wando’s maintains a consistent atmosphere. The people come, drink, laugh, joke with the security guard, flirt with the ‘tenders and sing along with the jukebox. With sport decor all around in honor of past Badger teams and famous players, Wando's can quickly grow on anyone as their place of choice for a usual energetic night. Come for the noise and Badger pride, but stay for the congeniality.

On Tuesdays, the energy is eager and boisterous. The crowd spills outside along both sides of the corner, anxious to enter the early weekend atmosphere. Of course, the usual underagers are in the mix and hoping to roll a win with the two bouncers, only to confront unwavering denial.

Straight ahead from the top of the stairs is the second floor bar. Bartenders here get a full view of the more restaurant-like arrangement of tables and chairs. The majority of guests are standing beside a chair or leaning against a railing or wall. Bunching is the preferred socializing method, something I'm not quite used to or enjoy seeing. I would prefer more encouragement from either the setup or employees for guests to take a seat. But, I can note the consistent expressions of comfort on the more familiar guests faces. I also notice the significantly greater number of men than women.

Initially, the heavily one-sided ratio—which repeated itself everyday that week—slightly bothered me. Wando's seems like a place for a variety of people. But, I recall my impression of a rec basement when I first arrived. Wando's could be a place more for the fellas, though I did not expect such a vibe. In humor, all that's needed is a corner reserved for billiards and foosball.

Another side of Wando's was not realized until the weekend, when I visited the third floor. The third level is one of Madison's few nightclub dance floors, reserved for only Friday and Saturday nights. Wando's brings deafening music and rapidly flashing LED lights for the young Madison crowd that wants to shake, sweat, and shout for hours. Oddly, what I didn't like was the music. For the two hours I was present, the music was all techno and dubstep. I found the constant laser sounds, digital explosions, rapid stutters and sharp keys that make me believe I've walked into a futuristic space aliens video game, perpetually overwhelming to say the least. Obviously, my dislike is very personal, as the third floor was more full than I've ever seen the second floor. Nonetheless, I can’t dismiss the feeling that the atmosphere which the music creates is not for a diverse crowd of interests. When asked about the third floor, bartender Sam informs me that the music is par for the weekend course.

Visiting Wando's was an enjoyable experience. I will definitely make the bar an option for future visits and highly recommend it to others. I encourage the energetic Madison community and city visitors to come and see a little bit of the city's pride in Wando's.