verveer

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, describes the need for a park on the corner of North Bassett Street and West Mifflin Street. 

New park resolution passes unanimously in committee

Though tensions filled the room between property owners and city leaders Monday, the Plan Commission unanimously approved a proposal to build a new downtown park.

The park, proposed to sit on the corner of  West Mifflin Street and North Bassett Street, would provide a “desperately needed” green space for residents of the Mifflin neighborhood, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

The proposal requires the existing properties on the proposed land to be condemned to make way for the park. Several property owners spoke about the consequences condemnation would create for their businesses.

“It never occurred to us that the city of Madison would seize these buildings from us,” Patricia Coffey, a property owner, said. “I hope people will stop and realize this process [of condemning properties] is fundamentally unfair.”

Property owners also expressed concern that demolishing existing properties on the proposed land would make it more difficult for residents to find affordable housing.

“Rent prices will go up and we need to provide affordable housing,” Lindsay Fedler, a leasing professional at Goldleaf Development, said.

Verveer, whose district the park affects, addressed Fedler’s concern, saying there will be an effort in the near future to build an affordable housing project across from the proposed park.

Verveer also said the affected property owners will receive full compensation for their properties. He added that the construction of the park would not begin for “at least two to three more years,” and that most current tenants, which include mainly students, would not be affected.