Badgers fall to SIUE

Riding high on a two-game winning streak, the Badgers looked to keep the positive momentum going to start a three-game home stand. But it was the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Cougars (0-0-0, Missouri Valley Conference, 4-2-1 overall) who came out with more energy for most of the night, as they defeated Wisconsin (1-0-0 Big Ten, 2-5-0 overall) 2-0.

Fresh off being named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, sophomore goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk made his third consecutive start for the Badgers. He wasn’t tested heavily at the start thanks to a strong defensive effort, but the Cougars were able to break through just before the half. On the first shot on goal of the match, sophomore forward Devyn Jambga headed in the redirect from senior defender Justin Bilyeu to open up the scoring.

The Badgers came out strong in the second half, with a Mark Segbers shot barely sailing wide of the goal. The sophomore forward, who led the team in scoring as a freshman, broke through the 18-yard box in traffic, but wasn’t able to get a clean look.

Wisconsin continued to attack, as they had four corner kicks in the second half, but ended the contest with only one shot on goal to show for all of their efforts.

“Obviously one shot over 90 minutes is not what we expect from this group of players,” head coach John Trask said.

With the clock winding down, the Cougars were able to secure some breathing room. On a diving effort from a few yards out, senior forward Garet Christianson was able to slip the ball by Remeniuk for his first goal of the season.

From there, goalie Kyle Dal Santo was able to hang on for the shutout. The sophomore has had a very impressive season thus far, notching a 4-1-1 record with five shutouts and a goals against average of just 0.30 per game.

Despite the few opportunities as the match progressed, the Badgers looked as though they had lost the momentum gained from winning the final two legs of their recently wrapped up road trip.

“We just weren’t firing tonight. Sometimes that just happens, and as a coach, you got to take responsibility, cause the guys were not ready to play tonight,” Trask said.  “We had a few good minutes, but compliment SIUE. They had a very good game plan and, you know, they exposed us when they needed to.”

The Badgers have a tough task awaiting them, as they return to Big Ten play Sunday, hosting No. 11 Maryland (0-0-2, 3-1-3).

“Maryland is an excellent program. I think the guys will be ready for that game," Trask said. "It’s on national TV with the 1995 national championship team coming back. We’re going to play with some passion on Sunday, I’ll guarantee that."

Kickoff is slated for 12 p.m. Sunday at the McClimon Soccer Complex.