Terrace Chairs Batman

A special guest appearance from Batman helped reveal the full Terrace Chair opening.

Terrace chairs make a complete comeback

With a special guest appearance from Batman, Terrace chair season officially began Friday morning at the Memorial Union Terrace after a preview earlier this week.

“Gotham didn’t need me today, but the Terrace did,” Batman said as trucks delivered hundreds of chairs throughout the morning.

Batman praised the atmosphere the Terrace chairs provide, saying, “I’m here when I need an off day.”

“This year was a pretty easy year since we didn’t have to deal with a lot of construction on the Terrace,” said Stephanie Webendorfer, a marketing specialist for the Wisconsin Union.

The exact date of the start of Terrace chair season varies according to Webendorfer. In 2013 and 2014, the chairs returned on April 23 and 24, respectively. In 2012 though, the chairs made an early return at the end of March.

“It really depends on the weather and when the ice on Lake Mendota melts for us to decide when to unveil the chairs,” Webendorfer said.

She added memories of the chairs unite former and current students.

“We remember the Terrace chairs from when we were freshmen 25 years ago,” said alumna Jennifer Ryan, ’93, who visited campus this week from Colorado along with her sorority sister Sheri DeCoste, ’94.

“Whenever I see a Terrace chair or a picture of the terrace in someone’s office or home, I instantly make a connection with someone about their time at UW,” DeCoste said.

St. Paul University Catholic Center employee Sam Stropes compared the iconic Terrace furniture to trends across the world.

“In Paris, people love moveable chairs in parks and public places like this one,” Stropes said. “Fixed furniture isn’t great because people love to move their chairs, and the Terrace is great because of that, its color and its location on the lake.”

Senior Beau Reshel said as he looks forward to graduation, the Terrace season will leave lasting memories about his time at UW-Madison.

“Even more so than the chairs, it’ll be the atmosphere at the Terrace that I’ll miss,” Reshel said. “They’re trademarked and are very distinguished here on campus.”