Devon Maier

SSFC Chair Devon Maier explains the background of the new Wage Savings Resolution at their at final meeting Thursday.

SSFC passes new wage fund resolution

The Student Services Finance Committee approved a smaller financial reserve for organizations’ wage budgets Thursday.

The Wage Savings Resolution will decrease the amount of funds allocated for General Student Services Fund organizations, as historically groups underspent by 24.5 percent the past five years.

SSFC member Jessica Franco-Morales said it can be difficult for groups to plan the exact number of paid positions.

“After looking through GSSF budgets, consistently some of the line items that are underspent are the salaries, because it’s hard to plan for someone studying abroad, or someone who quit … so historically the salary line in GSSF budgets has been underspent,” Franco-Morales said.

The resolution includes a back-up plan if a group does utilize more funds than they were allocated in the wage fund. The SSFC chair and vice chair would request a meeting with the Associated Students of Madison Reserve Board to redistribute funds.

Both the chair and vice chair would also convene with the Division of Student Life to further address the Wage Savings Resolution and discover future savings opportunities.