Spring clean your spring semester

As we trudge back to classes after spring break, it won’t be hard to get buried in the excessive amounts of homework you procrastinated on last week.

But instead of drowning yourself in reading and pulling all-nighters to study for your 12-week exams, take a few minutes to review these spring cleaning ideas tailored to the college student lifestyle.

This season is full of clichés about new beginnings and starting fresh, so use them to motivate and rejuvenate yourself as we quickly approach the end of the semester.

Actually clean

This is a necessary (although dreaded) step in any spring cleaning process.

Tidying up your space will help you to feel more productive in other areas of life, and there are plenty of ways to make this task more enjoyable.

One simple suggestion is to start by making your bed — once this is done, your room will already look much neater.

Additionally, listen to some good music while you work, because how could you not have fun while blasting your favorite tunes and using your broom handle as a microphone?

Nowadays, most every book written comes in an audio form as well.

Take this time to listen to a book that you actually want to read, rather than one required by a professor.

Choose a suspenseful mystery or something that’s been in the news lately and catch up with pop culture while making your space shine.

Get fresh air

Feeling the spring breeze (and hopefully sunshine) on your post-Wisconsin winter skin will instantly give you a boost and give you the motivation to sail through these next few weeks.

Try to spend as much time outside as possible, whether it’s playing a game of Frisbee with friends or just taking a walk.

And if you must stay inside (shout-out to people who can diligently study in their rooms), open the window!

Even having the fresh air flow through your study space can put you in a better and more focused mood.

Make organizing fun

If you have to remember awful things like “study for next week’s chemistry exam,” try writing it down in purple gel pen!

Make your lists colorful, pick out neon Post-its for all your reminders and highlight your notes in colors other than yellow.

It sounds silly, but brightening up your organizational habits can motivate you to work harder (cross off list items with your pink pen).

Also, you can find infinite possibilities for creative clothing and storage organizers all over the Internet — try Pinterest first!

Get inspired

Nothing says a fresh start like making an inspiration board for yourself.

But if you’re not crafty, there are plenty of other options.

Attend a lecture you think sounds interesting, find a new band to listen to, paint, or read... the possibilities are endless.

Finding something that gives you inspiration will not only help you stay focused toward the end of the year, but can also give you an outlet for when you want to take a break from studying.

Remember that you only have six weeks left

Get some sleep and find the power to put self-care first.

Head to Target and grab a new lotion or hair product. With the change of season every company is releasing lighter versions of their popular body products.

Spring cleaning is a great way to stop drowning in your studies and start fresh by finding motivation, rejuvenating your mind and learning to appreciate new beginnings. Take a deep breath, Badgers. You’ve got this.