Some exchange students feel nostalgia for high-tech toilets of days gone by

When I came to the states for the first time in my life last September, what I missed the most was not sushi. Not even close. I realized that there is no Washlet at UW Madison. I was almost screaming in the middle of the campus.

Washlet is a system that employs a bidet, shooting warm water from a nozzle under the toilet seat. The seat itself is also special. It has features that allow it to be heated and comfortable in winter.

Originally, the concept of Washlet was made in the U.S. for hemorrhoids patients. Then, a Japanese toilet company called TOTO applied the technology to household commodes and added some features. Now 70 percent of Japanese houses and buildings use this high-tech toilet and even bathrooms at train stations have adopted the technology.

Thus, when I came to Madison for the first time, I naturally thought there would be Washlet systems in the states too.

Looking back at the experience, I might have been presumptuous in assuming that almost everything is the same in the U.S. and Japan. However, I was not the only one who missed Washlet—our high-tech toilet. Other exchange students strongly agree. Akira Nakamura, an exchange student from a university in Tokyo said, “I feel painful, especially in winter, without Washlet!” He misses it more than I do, and he did some research about Washlet in the U.S. Nakamura sadly told me that the Japanese toilet company once tried to sell this system in U.S., but it did not spread as much as it has in Europe. The reason might have been that American culture hesitates to talk about the restroom or toilets, he said.

However, you spend a combined three years of your life in the restroom. Three years is not short enough to ignore. You choose a car by looking carefully at how it functions. Why not do the same for a toilet?

Washlet might be unfamiliar and sound weird for you. However, remember that new things always seem silly and weird the first time you use them. You should all try Washlet just once to realize how comfortable it is. It will give you an amazing toilet experience.

Yukako is a freshman writer for The Daily Cardinal. What do you think of her perspective? Would you try using a Washlet? We would like to know what you think. Please send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.