'Mamma Mia' is an ageless, carefree classic that delights and inspires

“Mamma Mia” may just be theater’s ultimate feel-good tale of love conquering all. Written by Catherine Johnson back in 1999 to the music of ABBA, 54 million people have seen the musical, which has earned over 3 billion dollars. Having grown up listening to those songs either through my parents or my school’s music teacher, and having heard the story of it since before Amanda Seyfried and Meryl Streep’s movie, it was truly a remarkable pleasure finally watching it in theater Tuesday at the Overture Center. 

With the venue completely packed, the show opened big, and it opened well. The character of Sophie, played by Chelsea Williams, was quick to win the audience over from the first moment with her soulful opening ballad, “I Have a Dream” and by launching into “Honey, Honey” soon after. Capturing the character’s 20-year-old youthful optimism, energy and a “my love will conquer” anything enthusiasm, Williams had a perfect execution. Going from the giddy girl awaiting her wedding and the possibility of finally meeting her father to confronting a mother who she admires and loves in equal measures but doesn’t entirely understand, she ended with the poise of a young woman who is not only ready to take on life but finally love as well. 

I’ve heard people say that “Mamma Mia” is an ecstatic musical that leaves everyone feeling uplifted and enraptured. The reality is not different from the rumors in this instance. The story moves fast on the stage, so you rarely ever get those few awkward moments of boredom when everything seems to be dragging. The characters portray their personalities well, so you quickly learn who everyone is and follow the transitions of their struggles. Perhaps with its story and music it is built to be an escapist sort of fun for people, and it achieves that quite effortlessly.  

It is very easy to fall in love with the character of Donna, played by Georgia Kate Haege, so it's not wonder she still has three men so enchanted after 21 years. Portrayed as a free spirt and artistic woman, who has a knack for running a business while also being the life and soul of every party, she grows on you almost instantly. My favorite moment had to be watching her with her two best friends. Seeing three women in their fifties who are absolutely uninhibited in every way, and still love each other as the young girls they once were, is not only inspiring, but it fills you with hope yourself. Watching Tanya, played by Bailey Purvis, and Rosie, played by Sarah Smith, sing “Chiquitita” for their overwhelmed and saddened friend was what theater is all about for me. And then watching all three of them break out into routines, obscene dance moves and “Dancing Queen” encapsulates the show’s spirit like no other moment.  

We all know the tale to this show. But watching it live is something I believe will never get old, so that in itself is a testament to the show’s timelessness. Every ABBA song was executed so aptly that the sing-along the cast put on after the last act had everyone on their feet. Hearing oldies like “Sos,” “Take a Chance On Me,” “Super Trouper,” and a handful of others by this cast was exactly what every student in the audience needed this close to finals.