Grace Potter

Grace Potter performed at the Barrymore Theatre Saturday night.  

College Democrats and Republicans convene to engage campus with Wisconsin politics

Wisconsin Union Directorate Society & Politics hosted its annual debate between representatives of College Democrats and College Republicans Thursday evening at Union South in pursuit of promoting public engagement about relevant topics within Wisconsin’s politics.

The representatives from College Democrats and College Republicans focused on four relevant controversies for this debate. The topics included UW System budget cuts, voter ID laws, right-to-work legislation and drug testing for welfare recipients.

Though these topics evoke strong emotions and often polarizing beliefs, WUD Society & Politics Director Jack Comeau believes that debates like this one encourage people to inform themselves of different perspectives through their peers.

“In Society & Politics, we are all about having the conversation and really trying to have students engage,” Comeau said. “Having debates of this nature is a great way for people who don’t know much about politics and might not be ready to stick their necks out there to come hear what fellow students think in a safe setting.”

Though the differences in opinion were made clear through the heated debate, both sides said they can equally advocate for the civic engagement of students within their campus.

Charlie Hoffmann, former chair of College Republicans, emphasized the importance of getting involved with politics by reaching out to other people and involving them.

“This is the time when everyone should be getting civically involved, and everyone sitting here already is,” Hoffmann said “We all here heard the facts but now go home to your roommates and talk about these issues, that’s how you get other students involved.