ASM pushes chancellor to cut ties with JanSport, restore LCLAC as shared governance

UW-Madison’s complicated past with the JanSport apparel company led the Associated Students of Madison Student Council members to pass a resolution Wednesday, demanding Chancellor Rebecca Blank cut ties with the company.

Previously pursued by the Labor Codes and Licensing Advisory Committee, the resolution requests Blank cancel all licenses with JanSport and separately reinstate the LCLAC as a shared governance group, after it was turned into an advisory committee this past summer.

The structural change removed undergraduate students’ ability to hold a position higher than vice chair and gave Blank the ability to request a selection of students to sit on LCLAC as representatives. UW-Madison Director of Community Relations Everett Mitchell said in February this alteration was to increase diversity among LCLAC members.

Several students voiced concern over the safety of JanSport workers during Wednesday’s forum, after a 2013 factory collapse killed 1,132 Bangladeshi garment workers.

“I think it’s really important that workers’ rights in general transcend national boundaries,” said Nominations Board Committee Chair Megan Phillips. So by supporting this resolution, we’re making that statement and saying ‘this isn’t only important here, but it’s important elsewhere.’”

Former ASM chair and current LCLAC member David Gardner asked members to accept the JanSport resolution to support the LCLAC’s goal to cut ties with the company.

“I think your approval of this resolution would be impactful and show the committee that as students, you are all very concerned with the actions of the chancellor, and that you would like to support the decision,” Gardner said.

ASM Secretary Alex Schultz said the main goal of the resolution is to restore shared governance rights and requiring the university “upholds its ethical obligations.”

“This is a very important legislation to pass, as it will support student power over governing processes within the university,” Schultz said. “I’d also like to point to ethical concerns as we as students have the power to make a difference.”

Student Council members approved the legislation 21-0, sending it on to Chancellor Blank and other administrators for approval.

In a Feb. 12 letter Blank said she will “remain committed to hearing updates and information about the progress or lack thereof” surrounding the university’s involvement with JanSport.