Gen Carter

ASM Chair Gen Carter addresses Coordinating Council members on upcoming vice provost forums.

Coordinating Council brainstorms for Vice Provost forums

The Associated Students of Madison Coordinating Council prepared for the upcoming selection of two UW-Madison vice provost positions during its meeting Wednesday.

Candidates for the Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate and the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management will be speaking at upcoming discussions hosted by the Office of the Provost, giving them an opportunity to engage with students.

ASM Chair Gen Carter requested the Council’s attendance at the discussions, as well as asking the group to brainstorm questions for the candidates.

According to Carter, the Vice Provost of Enrollment Management oversees a large part of student life, and is involved with the Offices of the Registrar, Student Financial Aid and Admissions and Recruitment.

“They end up being a really major decision maker,” Carter said.

The Division of Enrollment Management supervises several administrative units and supports them by providing services to the university’s academic infrastructure, according to its website.

Finance Chair Madison Laning suggested framing a question around the possible increase of out-of-state students given the proposed budget cuts, and how that increase would affect in-state students and the university as a whole.

Vice Chair Derek Field also proposed a question concerning the amount of agency students should have over their own financial decisions.

Field described this vice provost position as “one of the top administrators who gets to determine the future of the university.”

The Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate oversees the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, as well as campus diversity initiatives and implementation of the Diversity Framework, according to Carter.

Carter suggested asking candidates how they would engage the Madison community with campus diversity plans.

Nominations Board Chair Megan Phillips posed a question about actions professors and students can take to immediately help campus climate.

Vice provost discussions will be taking place over the next few weeks.