Draw Me Somethinig - 11/16/2012

State Democrats come to Blank’s defense amidst criticism

State Democrats defended Chancellor Rebecca Blank Thursday after Republicans attacked her Wednesday for “playing politics” with her university.

The Joint Committee on Finance co-chairs, Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, and Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, accused Blank of opposing budget measures for political reasons, in a statement Wednesday.

Many rallied behind Blank, claiming her concerns about the budget cuts are an apolitical matter. Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, insists the criticism toward Blank is egregious.

“The reality is that the Republicans won’t accept anyone telling them the truth – that their policies have been destructive to our economy, our students and our communities,” Barca said in a statement. 

Barca is not alone in condemning the accusations against Blank; state Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, who represents much of the campus area, also rushed to her defense. 

“As co-chairs of the most powerful committee in Wisconsin state government, it is time to stop pointing fingers at chancellors, professors and our public schools,” Taylor said in a statement.

Elected officials will hold hearings about the budget, dissecting and scrutinizing the bill before its final passage in June.