Chancellor Wiley to step down: Successor will take over position September 2008

: Chancellor John Wiley announced Friday he is leaving his position, which he has held for seven years, in September 2008. The UW System Board of Regents will begin looking for a replacement immediately.

Right-to-work legislation set to move forward as unions plan protests

Right-to-work legislation came one step closer to a vote, as Senate leaders referred the bill Monday to the Senate Committee on Labor and Government Reform.

A public hearing on the proposed bill has been scheduled for Tuesday, starting at 10 a.m. at the Capitol and ending no later than 7 p.m., according to a press release from committee Chair Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater.

The proposed right-to-work legislation would prohibit employers from making union membership a condition for hiring. Some legislators raised concern about previous protests that occurred after a 2010 bill was enacted stripping public unions of their collective bargaining ability.

Gov. Scott Walker, who was hesitant to endorse right-to-work legislation earlier this year, has indicated he would sign the bill, which would then take effect immediately.

Democrats accused Republicans of distracting the media from provisions in Walker’s recent budget proposal with the bill.

Joseph Waldman, communications director for the College Democrats of Wisconsin, said he is not concerned about the right-to-work debate distracting from the issue of proposed UW System budget cuts.

“Both are in the same vein as tactics that Governor Walker is using to divide and conquer the middle class,” Waldman said.

Dane County Supervisor Leland Pan believes right-to-work legislation could potentially hurt students once they are employed after graduating.

“Right-to-work essentially eliminates for students the ability to organize themselves and represent themselves for higher wages,” Pan said.

National labor unions including the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees and the AFL-CIO plan to rally at the state Capitol Tuesday and Wednesday against the bill.

The Senate could vote on the bill as early as Wednesday, while the Assembly could follow suit as soon as next week.