Record Routine: The Districts fail to change the game on newest release

Rock has always been an evolving creature. Every time the genre starts to feel a little stale, bands twist and bend in new ways to create innovative sounds. These changes usually stick together, with popular groups at the time capturing the distinctive sound until new groups of artists sweep in and start the next wave of rock. The Districts, releasing A Flourish and a Spoil Tuesday, are an exciting new act that’s full of energy, but somehow feels late to the party and lacking in novelty.

The band fits the bill for your typical rock group, with each member rounding off at about 20 years old, teenage angst and rebellious woes fueling their sound. Frontman Rob Grote—one part Julian Casablancas, one part Matt Shultz—combines both elements of emotional and naïve liveliness to his tenor vocals. What separates Grote from these more grounded frontmen is a lack of originality. The Districts play very clear-cut rock, which, while not a bad thing, leaves much more to be desired from a group with such promising capability. 

The first track, “4th and Roebling,” is a perfect example of The Districts’ untapped potential. The verses are catchy, held by a consistent drum beat, and it all transitions well into an explosive chorus. This is where Grote’s raspy vocals shine, the passion in his voice carried by the band’s collective downpour. The Districts are at their best during these fiery segments, but the uproar of instruments can’t mute the glaring issues.

The group’s energy output seems to deceptively mask a lack of confidence in their willingness to explore. There’s never a moment that the rhythm breaks—no wild drum fills, hectic guitar licks or any sort of step away from barriers set by the song. While some choruses really roar, like the repetitive refrain in “Hounds,” it’s always a contained outburst. For a group made up of exuberant teenagers, their methods seem to be very by the book.

The Districts seem to have roots in the ambitious rock ’n roll scene of the past decade, but unfortunately never truly examine their own talents. A Flourish and a Spoil leaves a lot on the table, which gives me hope that we will see more adventurous and fleshed-out work from The Districts next time around.

Rating: B