Record Routine: John Carpenter revives horror themes on LP

John Carpenter, director of cult-classics such as “Halloween,” “The Thing,” and “Escape From New York” has recently decided to focus less on optics and more on sounds with his first album, Lost Themes.

This shouldn’t sound too strange, as Carpenter not only directs but also composes the soundtracks for most of his films. Sticking mainly to the sci-fi and horror genres, Carpenter created atmospheres thick with tension and mystery, relying heavily on synthesizers to produce his iconic style. Lost Themes is very much a continuation of Carpenter’s previous work—it’s chilling, ominous, and has a familiar ambiance. These themes carry over most notably in his one-word song titles, each one more dark and disparaging than the last.

Carpenter’s musical technique feels so connected to his filming days, it’s hard not to get feelings of nostalgia listening to Lost Themes. Every song has the ingredients of the standard 80’s Carpenter flick, from the mesmerizing synthesized harmonies to the electric guitar riffs. It’s difficult to listen without being reminded of some of your favorite classic films. That being said, one of Carpenter’s biggest strengths ends up being one of his biggest faults.

In terms of quality, Lost Themes is on par with any of the classic scores Carpenter has made previously; the only difference now being the lack of visual attachment. Carpenter’s previous scores worked because they were great supplements to his films. With Lost Themes, the album feels like just that, a gathering of themes without a film to call home. Unfortunately there isn’t as much an impact when such a stellar soundtrack lacks identity.

It’s exciting to see a name like Carpenter reach out of his element to attempt a project like this. Lost Themes is well-made and sounds sleek, but happens to fall just short of greatness due to its open-endedness.

Rating: B-