Menominee Indian Tribe

The Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin braves sub-zero temperatures in their march to the Capitol, starting Friday.

Menominee march for Kenosha casino ends in failure

Protesters from the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin converged on the Capitol Wednesday in a last-ditch attempt to convince Gov. Scott Walker to reconsider construction of a proposed casino in Kenosha.

Hundreds of tribal members embarked Friday on a 155-mile trek from their reservation in northern Wisconsin to Madison, braving sub-zero temperatures as they walked.

Menominee tribal Chairman Gary Besaw said the protesters’ sacrifice was an attempt to underscore the importance of the proposed casino, a partnership between the tribe and Hard Rock International.

“We’ve said this is too important for [Walker] to ignore,” Besaw said. “There is too much at stake not to sit down and do the right thing.”

Despite a revised offer from the tribe and developers that includes footing $220 million of a new Milwaukee Bucks arena, Walker has remained firm in his position against the casino, citing risk to the taxpayers.

Protesters remained undeterred by the opposition as tribal leaders led the group of roughly 300 to the Capitol. Gathering in the rotunda, state politicians from both parties addressed the crowd, offering support for the tribe’s cause.

“You have conquered every hurdle and answered every question,” Rep. Samantha Kerkman, R-Salem, said. “I stand and the people of Kenosha stand with you.”

Rep. Tod Ohnstad, D-Kenosha, criticized Walker for his lack of leadership on the issue.

“We call on Scott Walker to put his presidential aspirations aside and act in the best interests of all Wisconsin citizens, not the Iowa Caucus,” Ohnstad said.

Tribal leaders also addressed the crowds before Besaw walked to the Governor’s office in an unsuccessful attempt to meet with Walker.

“We had hoped that this trek would show [Walker] that this is not a game for our people,” Besaw said after being turned away by Capitol Police. “We hope somehow he understands that, as a leader of this state, the people deserve true leadership.”

Menominee legislator Craig Corn was also disappointed with Walker’s decision but expressed pride in the tribe’s activism.

“He would have been falling over any other group wanting to make a $1.6 billion investment in the state,” Corn said. “We didn’t lay down and we’re here. Whatever happens, this is a proud day for the Menominee.”