Walker rejects Menominee Tribe’s proposal for Kenosha casino

Gov. Scott Walker announced Friday he will not approve the long-debated Menominee Tribe’s Kenosha casino proposal, a project that would have resulted in the creation of an off-reservation casino in southeastern Wisconsin.

The decision follows the proposal’s approval by the federal Bureau of Indian Affairs in August 2013. Walker issued a trial period for the casino but ultimately did not approve its construction.

A report by the Wisconsin Department of Administration estimated the Kenosha casino would create 3,900 jobs and generate $601 million in economic output. Despite the potential economic gains, Walker rejected the proposal, citing the risk of litigation costs as well as the policies of his predecessor, former Gov. Jim Doyle.

The same report, released Friday, found that approving the Menominee Tribe’s bid to build the casino could open the state up to lawsuits from other Wisconsin tribes. DOA Secretary Mike Huebsch, a Walker appointee, attributed the risk of litigation to compacts with tribes negotiated by Doyle.

“After a comprehensive review of the potential economic impact of the proposed Kenosha casino project, the risk to the state's taxpayers is too great,” Walker said in a statement Friday.

Walker’s decision drew criticism from both sides of the aisle, as well as from the Menominee Tribe.

“It is our belief that this project would have improved the lives of the nearly 9,000 members of the Tribe. Instead, one Tribe – the Forest County Potawatomi and one goal of Governor Walker – the Presidency has led to a no for our people,” Laurie Boivin, chair of the Menominee Tribe, said in a statement.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said he was disappointed with Walker’s decision. However, he maintained the real person to blame is Jim Doyle and his legislation involving negotiations with other tribes.