Paul Soglin

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin will be looking to keep his seat come Spring.

Madison mayoral race candidates square off for February primary

As national and state legislators elected in November begin to take office, the election campaign is heating up for Madison mayoral hopefuls.

Current Madison Mayor Paul Soglin formally announced his re-election bid last Tuesday during a press conference held at the Warner Park Community and Recreation Center.

Citing his experience from his three different tenures as mayor spanning back to the 1970s, Soglin stressed his credentials for continuing to lead the city out of difficult economic times as part of Madison’s recovery process.

“Together, we have made progress toward our very simple but eloquent visionto make Madison a safe and healthy place for every individual and family to live, play, work and learn,” Soglin said at the event.

Soglin indicated the economy as a renewed focus should he be re-elected, noting the current gap between his vision and Madison’s current reality.

“There is a disconnect between the promise of this city and the reality you experience,” Soglin said.  

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, is one of Soglin’s four challengers.

Kicking off his campaign at Cargo’s Coffee on Madison’s east side last Thursday, Resnick emphasized his strengths as a younger candidate, citing a need for increased political participation by the Millennial demographic as critical for Madison’s continual growth.

Resnick argued his experience representing a mainly campus Madison district and establishing a successful Madison-based tech startup would help him bring forward both action and innovation as mayor.

“Our next mayor must represent each and every person in Madison if we are truly going to make ours become [a] more prosperous and equitable city,” Resnick said at the event.

Former Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, highlighted her roots to Madison in her campaign video announcement. As a fifth-generation Madisonian, Maniaci articulated her desire to extend downtown Madison’s success to all of the city’s neighborhoods.

Representing District 2, consisting of east side Madison neighborhoods bordering Lake Mendota, Maniaci helped coordinate affordable housing projects as well as the construction of the Edgewater Hotel during her time on Common Council.

“Given the economy, many cities are needing to innovate, evolve and become the next great city,” Maniaci said in her statement. “Madison cannot afford to be left behind.”

Soglin, Resnick and Maniaci will also be facing two lesser-known candidates, former Dane County Supervisor Richard Brown and UW-Madison graduate Christopher Daly, in a Feb. 17 primary election, with two finalists advancing to the April 7 election.