Katie Couric

Katie Couric, who was a host on major TV news networks like ABC, NBC and CBS for more than 25 years, will be the 2015 spring commencement speaker.

Katie Couric announced as the 2015 Spring Commencement speaker

UW-Madison senior class officers announced Katie Couric, a journalist, author and philanthropist, as the 2015 Spring Commencement ceremony speaker Wednesday.

The officers began the process of choosing a speaker last May, when they sent out a survey to the incoming senior class asking what the students wanted in a commencement speaker. They used the compiled suggestions to begin brainstorming names of possible speakers.

“We definitely took a lot of the comments to heart and really made sure we were taking into account our class’ interests,” Senior Class President Maria Giannopoulos said.

The committee of four officers unanimously decided Couric was the best fit because she is well known across audiences and fit what students were looking for, according to Senior Class Vice President Annie Paul.

“We wanted somebody who not only would the students enjoy and be able to look up to, but also the crowd itself,” Paul said. “We felt like she was the perfect all-around person to lead our class into the next phase of life.”

Paul added that philanthropy was a very important factor in the selection process and Couric’s work with cancer awareness makes her a “female trailblazer” and sets a great example for students.

Couric was also chosen for her relatability to students. She went to the University of Virginia, so she will serve as a good example of what students can do with a public university education, Giannopoulos said.

“Although she’s not a UW alum, she did go to an institution that’s very similar to ours, so I think that’s one thing they can take away from her,” Giannopoulos said. “In a few short months, we’ll be out there in the world, trying to find jobs.”

In a video announcement disseminated by UW-Madison Wednesday evening, Couric, clad in a foam Cheesehead and Bucky Badger shirt, expressed her excitement to speak at commencement.

"I am really honored to be joining you in Madison this May," Couric said in the video. "Thanks so much for inviting me and 'On Wisconsin!'"

The spring 2015 commencement ceremony will take place May 16 in Camp Randall Stadium.