Report: Former assistant Chryst poised to become new head coach at Wisconsin

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Jeff Potrykus, current Pittsburgh head coach and former UW assistant Paul Chryst is poised to become the next head coach of the Badgers.

There is no official word on the hiring, but Wisconsin state law says any public position must be posted for two weeks before being filled. Wisconsin State Journal and Ross Jones of Fox Sports both reported that Chryst was scheduled to meet with athletic director Barry Alvarez in Madison, though no exact purpose of the meeting was given.

If the reports are true, Chryst would replace Gary Andersen, who took the head-coaching job at Oregon State Wednesday. Chryst was offensive coordinator at Wisconsin from 2005-’11 before being hired by Pittsburgh as head coach.

Chryst is 19-19 in his three seasons at Pittsburgh. The Panthers are slated to play Houston in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl Jan. 2.

During his tenure as the Badgers’ offensive coordinator, Chryst oversaw some of the most powerful offenses in school history, including the 2011 season that featured Russell Wilson at quarterback and Montee Ball’s 39 touchdowns.

After Andersen joined Bret Bielema as the second coach in as many years to leave Wisconsin, there is concern that coaches view the program as a stepping-stone to a better job. Chryst’s history would seem to alleviate those fears of coaching loyalty.

In addition to his seven seasons as offensive coordinator, Chryst was also the tight ends coach for one year and played quarterback for the Badgers from 1986-’88. He was also born in Madison.

Stay tuned to The Daily Cardinal as more information becomes available.