Two Inch Astronaut

Record Routine: Maryland band offers bracing music on debut album

Since the materialization of the punk rock scene in the early 1970s, rebellious rockers have experimented left and right, spawning countless subgenres and genre fusions. Aside from its various stylistic changes over the years, there was always a standard of stripping away the unnecessary clutter created by typical rock ’n’ roll. Two Inch Astronaut holds themselves up to these standards, while simultaneously blending the genre’s different elements that have been made available over time.

Foulbrood initially feels like nothing out of the ordinary. The first track, “Foulbrood,” begins with a familiar formula, as a distorted guitar and bass set up simple melodies which lead into a loud hook, all accompanied by drums that are punchy and dry, an iconic sound from the early years of punk. But the song doesn’t stick to its roots forever, as the guitar is stripped of its distortion and gently transitions to a soothing riff to wrap up the song’s outro.

The schizophrenic changing of pace and intensity adds even more to the band’s unique sound. “No Feelings” is filled with frantic guitar licks, crashing symbols and grungy vocals, all split up between soft interludes, creating a dynamic that lets you appreciate the instrumental complexity during these relaxed segments, which makes the high energy explosions all the more exciting.

Foulbrood doesn’t wind down but for a few instances, but the lack of explosive energy allows us to get a different taste of the group’s abilities.

Two Inch Astronaut may seem to be caught in a time paradox, unable to attach themselves to a certain era of punk rock, but the group’s displacement among its musical inspirations is what allows them to fine-tune classic sounds, and take them even further. Foulbrood is as much an ode to punk rock’s origins as it is an attempt to create a new direction in the genre.

Rating: B