Football: Who could replace Gary Andersen?

Once again, the position of Wisconsin Badgers head football coach is open thanks to Gary Andersen’s shocking decision to leave Madison for Oregon State. Countless names are already being thrown around as possible candidates, but here are a few names that athletic director Barry Alvarez would do well to consider, along with a 1-to-5 rating of how interested fans would be in them and how likely they would take the job if offered. (Disclaimer: The following list of possible candidates is pure speculation. Their interest in the Wisconsin job and Wisconsin’s interest in them is unknown at this point in time.)

Paul Chryst (Fan Interest: 5, Likelihood: 4)

Chryst played quarterback for Wisconsin from 1986 to 1988 and served as its offensive coordinator from 2005 to 2011, a span which included the record-breaking Russell Wilson/Montee Ball unit, before accepting the head coaching position at Pittsburgh. Chryst, who has gone 19-19 in his three seasons with the Panthers, was a popular name during the Badgers’ coaching search following Bret Bielema’s departure, but elected to stay with Pittsburgh. But now, after a couple of mediocre years with the Panthers, the likelihood of Chryst returning to Madison should be far greater than it was in 2012.

Dave Aranda (Fan Interest: 4, Likelihood: 3)

Aranda has served as Wisconsin’s defensive coordinator over the past two seasons, and earned widespread praise this year for the defense’s stellar performance despite losing the entire front seven from the previous season’s team. Aranda will unquestionably get a chance to become a head coach somewhere at some point, but the only question is whether or not Alvarez will give him serious consideration given his lack of head coaching experience or if he’ll decide to follow Andersen to Corvallis.

Darrell Bevell (Fan Interest: 4, Likelihood: 2)

Bevell, a former quarterback for the Badgers, is beloved by Wisconsin fans for his iconic 21-yard touchdown run that helped lead the Badgers to a 1994 Rose Bowl victory over UCLA. He has won a Super Bowl with Russell Wilson as the Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator and would be a popular pick in Madison. However, he hasn’t coached at the collegiate level since serving as Connecticut’s wide receivers coach in 1999 and he’s a hot prospect to become the head coach of an NFL team.

Dave Doeren (Fan Interest: 3, Likelihood: 3)

Like Chryst, Doeren is a former UW assistant who has head coaching experience. Doeren served as Wisconsin’s defensive coordinator from 2006 to 2010, before becoming head coach at Northern Illinois. After going 23-4 in two seasons with the Huskies, he left to take over at North Carolina State. Following a 3-9 campaign in his first season at the school, Doeren and the Wolfpack have gone 7-5 in 2014. Given that he’s a former assistant with head coaching experience, expect Alvarez to give him a look.

Pat Narduzzi (Fan Interest: 3, Likelihood: 2)

Seemingly every time a Power 5 job opens up in the Midwest, Pat Narduzzi’s name is thrown around as a potential candidate. Narduzzi has been Michigan State’s defensive coordinator since 2007, coaching some of the best defenses in the country over that span. Just last year, he won the Broyles Award, given to the nation’s top assistant coach. Though Narduzzi is unquestionably qualified for a big-time job, he’s spurned offers in the past and doesn’t have head coaching experience, something Alvarez has stated as a point of focus in the upcoming coaching search.

Al Golden (Fan Interest: 2, Likelihood: 2)

Golden was another name that was thrown around a lot following Bielema’s departure two years ago. After turning around a Temple program that was one of the worst in all of college football, Golden was hired as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. He’s gone 28-21 during his time with the Hurricanes and many fans have been calling for his ouster. He reportedly turned Alvarez down in 2012, but perhaps he’ll reconsider given the current state of his job status in Miami.

Bret Bielema (Fan Interest: -52, Likelihood: 0)

The prodigal son returns home. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?