Committee begins search for new vice provost, chief diversity officer

Members of the campus community are invited to submit nominations to permanently fill the vice provost for diversity/chief diversity officer position.

The role of the vice provost and CDO is to work with campus departments to “create and maintain robust pathways for diverse and underrepresented populations” and to help establish an inclusive campus climate for students, according to a Nov. 25 university statement. This vice provost provides guidance to the chancellor, provost and other UW leaders on diversity matters.

They will also have the responsibility to oversee the implementation of the university’s recent Diversity Framework.

A search and screen committee comprised of students, faculty and administration has been formed to accept nominations nationwide and make recommendations on a new vice provost. Brian Yandell, a professor in the Department of Statistics, will serve as the chair.

Patrick Sims, a theatre and drama professor, has been serving as interim vice provost since Damon Williams vacated the position in August 2013.

The deadline to submit nominations is Jan. 19 and the university said in the release the new vice provost will assume responsibility April 1.

All nominations and applications should be sent to the search and screen committee at vp-diversity-search@provost.wisc.edu.