Tom Gierok

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Tom Gierok emphasizes student input in the state budget process Wednesday.

ASM finalizes internal budget, talks Biennial Budget

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council met Wednesday to hear an update on the 2015-2017 Biennial Budget and finalize the 2015-‘16 ASM internal budget, which totaled $1,381,932.74.

The biennial budget allocates revenue for the state of Wisconsin, including UW System funding for tuition levels and the amount of financial aid available.

Legislative Affairs Chair Tom Gierok spoke on ASM priorities concerning this budget, explaining there is a distrust between state legislators and UW-Madison administration. Due to the administration’s poor messaging and previous lack of financial transparency, Gierok said university students will eventually be hurt.

“If the Legislature goes forward in deciding to punish the administration by not fulfilling their [General Purpose Revenue] request or not filling those gaps in funds, students are going to take the biggest hit,” Gierok said.

Gierok stressed to ASM members the importance of lobbying and student input as the budget moves forward.

Council also discussed their internal budget for the 2016 fiscal year before ultimately approving it.

Representative Jeremy O’Brien motioned to amend the travel line from $16,000 to $8,000.

O’Brien argued the fund is not transparent to students outside of student government and that it is not right for ASM to be using student dollars to fully fund its own travel.

Several representatives responded to this motion, saying these funds allow ASM to represent the university on a broader scale, such as taking trips to Washington, D.C. for student conferences.

The motion to decrease the travel line did not pass.

Representative Steven Hughes also moved to strike Council’s membership to the United States Student Association, a student advocacy and education organization, saying he felt the association was not doing valuable university work.

Though several representatives agreed that communication between USSA and UW-Madison needs improvement, many also said the USSA membership, and its associated conferences, is beneficial.

“After going to that conference, I was tremendously influenced and I brought my new perspectives into every classroom and every environment I’ve been in since,” Representative Andy Stoiber said.

The motion to strike USSA membership did not pass.

Council is scheduled to meet next Jan. 21.