Dominique Thompson

Volleyball: Win streak reaches 17 games

No. 2 Wisconsin (17-1 Big Ten, 27-2 overall) completed its season sweep of No. 20 Ohio State (10-8, 19-11) Friday, sweeping the Buckeyes in Columbus, Ohio. The win extended the Badgers’ win streak to 17 as Wisconsin improved to 9-2 against ranked opponents this season.

The Badgers dominated the first two sets, winning by an average of nine points. The third set, however, required a comeback from the Badgers.

Ohio State came out strong in the third set, taking an early 7-2 lead. The Badgers wouldn’t let the Buckeyes pull away and eventually cut their lead down to four, following a kill and an ace by sophomore outside hitter Kelli Bates.

Wisconsin tied the set up at 16-16. On the next play, sophomore setter Lauren Carlini delivered a huge kill for the Badgers, giving them their first lead of the game at 17-16.

Ohio State didn’t back down, however, and regained the lead at 18-17. As they’ve done all season, the Badgers responded immediately and tied the set up at 18.

The back-and-forth nature of the set continued as the two teams were tied late in the set at 20-20.

Fortunately for the Badgers, the Buckeyes made two errors, giving the Badgers a 22-20 lead. Ohio State scored two more points in the set but that was all Wisconsin would give them. The Badgers closed out the set with three straight kills to complete the sweep of the Buckeyes.

The Badgers led the game in kills, hitting percentage, assists, aces, digs and blocks.

Bates led the Badgers in kills for the second straight game with 13. Senior middle blocker Dominique Thompson continued her extraordinary season leading the Badgers with five blocks.

Not only did senior outside hitter Ellen Chapman record the last kill of the night, she also moved her way into fifth place on Wisconsin’s all-time leaderboard for kills with 1,409.

With two games left in the season, the Badgers need one more win to guarantee a share of the Big Ten Title and two to win the title outright. This would end a 13-year title drought for Wisconsin.

The Badgers have a very good chance of clinching their share of the title in their next game Wednesday against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights have yet to win a game in the Big Ten, going 0-18 so far this season.

Penn State also has a chance for a share of the Big Ten title with a 16-2 record in conference play so far this season. In the Nittany Lions’ last two games, they will travel to Northwestern and host No. 11 Nebraska.

Wisconsin has won four Big ten titles, but hasn’t claimed one since 2001. If the Badgers can beat Rutgers Wednesday on the road and No. 16 Purdue at home next Friday, a game that has already sold out, they will win the Big Ten title outright.