UW-Madison sophomore Keven Stonewall develops vaccine to fight colon cancer, works to inspire through research

Inspiring others to pursue their goals, whatever they may be, is the overarching goal of Keven Stonewall, a 19-year-old UW-Madison sophomore who has made incredible breakthroughs in colon cancer research.

“I think a big thing I like to show, and what I’ve been trying to show, is if you have a passion for something just go all in with it,” Stonewall said. “You never know where it’ll take you.”

Following his own passions and using a type of treatment known as cancer immunotherapy, Stonewall created a vaccine to enhance T cells in the immune system that naturally fight cancer.

Stonewall tested his vaccine on mice, split into two groups of older and younger mice, and injected them with both the vaccine and colon cancer cells. All of the mice tested survived.

He began researching cancer and developing his vaccine during a summer internship at the Rush University Medical Center after his junior year of high school.

The Chicago native said his love for science sparked in fifth grade when his class began using microscopes. Since then, he jumped at every science-related opportunity he could.

“My whole principle is that you don’t build a whole wall in one day, you do it one brick at a time,” he said. “If I don’t cure cancer, as long as I inspire somebody and set up a stepping stone I’m satisfied with that.”

Stonewall, who majors in microbiology, said UW-Madison has fostered his scientific abilities due to the large emphasis it puts on research.

Dr. Christian Capitini, who works in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, has been Stonewall’s most prominent advisor and a source of guidance at UW.

On his way to work at the Wisconsin Institute for Medical Research, Stonewall said he always stops to chat with Capitini, who has helped him navigate the transition from high school biology to graduate-level research, both in terms of explaining scientific jargon and advising him on coursework.

In his free time, Stonewall said he enjoys “blowing off steam” at the SERF, watching Netflix and doing all the things normal college kids do.

Among his many achievements, Stonewall said one of his proudest moments was being asked to speak at a TEDxUW-Madison event regarding his work.

As a young researcher, Stonewall is a firm believer in the idea that motivation isn’t determined by one’s age.

“Age isn't anything but a number,” he said. “We can all fight cancer. You could be a Ph.D. researcher, an undergraduate art major or even a curious fifth grader as I was. It doesn't matter, it’s about the passion and the drive to win this fight.”