Kyla Kaplan

Sustainability Committee Chair Kyla Kaplan says an added campaign will limit receipt waste in dining facilities.

Sustainability committee revisits reusable box project

The Associated Students of Madison Sustainability Committee members discussed Wednesday the progress of a project limiting single-use to-go boxes in university eateries.

The Traceless Takeout Project is a campaign that would allow students to use reusable boxes through an access pass system. Students can take boxes and return them to any location where dishes are accepted on campus.

The to-go boxes are made out of recycled materials in an attempt to reduce single-use boxes in dining halls and possibly the unions. Currently, the campaign does not have a pilot program in place.

Jenny Sharpe, the main campaign organizer, met with Union South and University Housing Dining and Culinary Services representatives to discuss the project. Sharpe said they are looking into starting a small pilot in one of the dining halls.

There are currently about 100 pledges for the project, but Sharpe said she hopes to eventually have 1,000. Students can go to its website to pledge their support for the campaign.

“You are not checking a box, you are signing up for something when you sign up. It’s substantial,” Sharpe said.

Sustainability Committee Chair Kyla Kaplan also said the Receipt Reduction Campaign, a project currently in Newell’s Deli that limits receipt printing in dining halls, is looking to go into the bigger dining halls next semester. Kaplan said it will at least go to Gordon’s and Dejope with the possibility of going to all of the dining halls and both unions.