Bieber fever mildly tolerable

Justin Bieber

Gameday: Friendly rivalry motivates D-Line duo

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Redshirt freshman defensive ends Alec James and Chikwe Obasih embody the timeless quote from ancient Chinese strategist Sun Tzu. Both were recruited to the Badgers out of Brookfield, Wisconsin, a small city of around 40,000 people just west of Milwaukee.

James was ranked by ESPN as the No. 1 recruit in the state of Wisconsin, coming out of Brookfield East High School. Obasih was ranked No. 2, from Brookfield Central. The two schools are about four miles apart, facilitating a rivalry that has developed for over half a century.

Alec put up 97 tackles, 25 for losses, with 12 sacks and four forced fumbles as a senior, while Chikwe was right there with him, accumulating 101 tackles, 24 for losses, 7.5 sacks and five forced fumbles.

From high school rivals to UW teammates, Obasih and James have used each other to motivate themselves to become the best players they possibly can be. The two were always aware of what the other was doing.

“I always felt like I had to catch up to him,” Obasih said. “He’s the one who started on varsity as a freshman. It felt kind of good, having a rival and a school that close to try and get yourself better.”

Joining the Badgers in the same class brought the two of them a level of familiarity that not many Wisconsin recruits are able to have. They are now the best of friends, living together and forming a bond that helps them succeed both on and off the field.

“It was good because like me, I’m a quiet person,” James said. “I don’t go out of my way to really interact with people if I don’t have to, but just knowing someone, someone who’s more social, it helped.”

Obasih echoed his thoughts. “Being close off the field and talking about things like how games went and how practice went afterwards, back at home, I think it helps a lot. You get a sense of support. It’s like, it’s not just you toughing it out on your own,” Obasih said.

The D-line duo have come a long way on the field as well. After redshirting as true freshmen, they have seen quite a bit of playing time this season. This has largely been due to injuries to redshirt senior defensive linemen Warren Herring and Konrad Zagzebski, which has forced coaches to rely on the young defenders.

“They’ve been thrown into the fire, and they’ve gotten better every week,” said defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a. “They’ve gone through some growing pains and still are, but they’ve accepted the challenge, and they haven’t backed down.”

Their D-line coach is very familiar with the history between the two, and how that has formed the bond that will only help them grow as players.

“High school is over, and so they’re like two brothers now,” he continued. “Those two guys are really close, and you know, they sit next to each other in meetings, and they’ve always got something to say to each other. It’s going to be like that for the next three years, and I’m excited to have these guys.”

James and Obasih are getting valuable experience now that will build their confidence and help prepare them for bigger roles in the future. Herring and Zagzebski won’t be back next season, leaving a lot of playing time up for grabs. The Badgers do bring back redshirt junior Jake Keefer, who may end up taking one defensive end spot, leaving the other for Obasih and James. On the interior, redshirt sophomore Arthur Goldberg should take the nose guard spot.

If the Brookfield natives are going to step into more significant roles, they need to continue their development. They have come a long way, though, since joining the team as freshmen.

“The first thing is the mental part of it. They understand the defense much better than their first year, which is a huge positive for them,” Kauha’aha’a said. “Physically, both of them put on a lot of weight—good weight—but their bodies, they’re still adjusting to their new bodies.”

So far, they’ve been coming along nicely. Alec has eight tackles, 1.5 for losses and a pass deflection so far this season, while Chikwe has 17 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Their performances have caught the eyes of their veteran teammates and even defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. He has watched them develop over the last year and a half, and he spoke highly of his two young defensive ends.

“Both of those guys are physical players. Their ‘want-to’ is off the charts,” he said. “When they’ve seen the field, there have been little to no missed assignments, and there’s been great production. And so I have no issue at all with those guys being in the game. I know they have the respect of their teammates.”

Count Zagzebski in as a teammate who has been impressed.

“They’re developing really nicely. The Badger fans have a lot to be excited for the future,” the senior defensive lineman said.

He has observed their off-the-field relationship as well. Obasih and James are known for their antics, and sometimes the seasoned defensive lineman has to keep an eye on them.

“They’re like two little brothers sometimes. I feel like I’m the older brother telling them to pipe down or be quiet because we have to get serious,” he said. “They’re always goofing around, but they know when they have to be serious. It’s all good stuff.”

What started as a friendly rivalry has formed a unique companionship. When they’re not competing at practice or in games, they’re competing at home, challenging each other to a game of FIFA on Xbox. They are very close as friends, and they only get closer as rivals, on and off the field.