Shooting Down Cancer

A UW-Madison student prepares to take a half-court shot during the third annual Shooting Down Cancer hosted by men’s basketball head coach Bo Ryan.

UW-Madison students “Make Bo Pay,” raise more than $50,000

For students like UW-Madison junior Becca Mischel, Wisconsin Men’s Basketball head coach Bo Ryan’s Shooting Down Cancer means more than meeting Wisconsin’s basketball players and taking advantage of the event’s free t-shirts, food and other giveaways.

“My dad was a huge Badger Basketball fan, so I started watching [the games] with him when I was eight. We watched every game together, it was a huge deal in my house,” Mischel said. “Later, my dad actually passed away from cancer.”

Ryan started the benefit to honor families just like Mischel’s.

“There are so many families that I’ve seen devastated by cancer. We all have,” Ryan said. “I just figured if we can do anything to help the cause, let’s do it!”

Following his own advice, Ryan joined a campaign called Coaches vs. Cancer and held the first Shooting Down Cancer event three years ago.

For one afternoon each year, UW-Madison students join his team and step onto the Kohl Center’s court to take a shot at the hoop and Ryan’s wallet.

Ryan and his wife Kelly pledged to donate a dollar for every student in attendance, $10 for each successful free throw and $1,000 for every successful half-court shot, with all proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society.

The Wednesday benefit, which brought in $53,355 from the students in attendance, ultimately raised more than $275,000 with matching gifts. Shooting Down Cancer raised $41,279 in 2012 and $66,150 in 2013.

Last year, sophomore Curt Hogg left the Kohl Center after missing both half-court and free throw attempts. He returned this year to become one of the students to sink both his free-throw and half-court shot.

“I felt like Ben Brust out there, chucking the half court shot in,” Hogg said. “Living out the dream!”

Both Hogg and Ryan anticipate Shooting Down Cancer will continue for years to come.

“We are the number one [fundraising] school in the country within Coaches vs. Cancer,” Ryan said.

After leading his team of regional champions to the NCAA Final Four Championship this past season, it looks like Ryan has another title to defend.