Eplegaarden

The Daily Cardinal Fall Guide

Pumpkin patches & apple orchards

Eplegaarden

Eplegaarden serves up a tiny slice of Norwegian culture alongside delicious apples and scrumptious pumpkins. It’s family-owned and friendly and guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again.

Hours: Tuesday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in October; Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 9 a.m. to noon in November

Location: 2227 Fitchburg Rd., Fitchburg

Schuster’s Farm

It’s difficult, if not impossible, to get bored at Schuster’s Farm—when you’ve picked out a pumpkin, do some gemstone mining, go for a spin on a hay ride and get lost in their ornate corn maze (this year, it’s carved into the shape of a plane to commemorate the Badger Honor Flight). If you’re down for a fright, take a stroll through Schuster’s Haunted Forest.

Hours: Monday through Thursday 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Nov. 1

Prices: $3 per person for “barnyard fun” on weekdays, $9 per person for farm entry and other “farmtractions” on weekends,  $6 per person for only maze entry, $15 per person for Haunted Forest entry

Location: 1326 Hwy. 12 & 18, Deerfield

Treinen Farm

Though it’s known as the home of Wisconsin’s largest corn maze—this year, it’s carved in the shape of the owl of Athena—there’s nothing like taking a horse-drawn wagon ride to pick the perfect pumpkin at the award-winnng Treinen Farm. If only Autumn lasted all year ’round.

Hours: Friday 3p.m. to 10:30p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 10:30p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. in October

Prices: $6-$15.75 per person, depending on how many activities you choose to include in your visit.

Location: W12420 State Rd. 60, Lodi

Haunted houses & ghostly grounds

Mad-City Freak Show at Olin Park

Mad-City Freak show, a haunted house/carnie-filled nightmare, capitalizes on all of your circus-related phobias. Deathly afraid of clowns? You’ll probably be tempted to pass on this one, but take a chance, you daredevil, you, because it’s all for a good cause—a portion of the proceeds go to local charity The Road Home.

Dates: Oct. 17, 18, 24, 25, 30, 31 and Nov. 1 from 7 to 10 p.m.

Price: $8 per person

Location: Olin Park, 1156 Olin-Turvill Ct. Madison

Scare factor: CLOWNS. Need we say more?

Screamin’ Acres

With three different venues located within its walls—the hotel-themed Last Resort, the gory Slaughter House and the not-FDA-approved Side Effects—Screamin’ Acres is the mother of all haunted attractions. If you’re looking for a little liquid courage to help you along the way, Hop Head Beer Tours organizes a visit to Screamin’ Acres between tours of Tyranena Brewing Co. and the new Viking Brewpub.

Dates: Oct. 17, 18, 24, 25, 30, 31 and Nov. 1 from 7 to 11 p.m.

Price: $20 per person for a normal pass, $30 per person for a fast pass/line-hopper pass, $70 per person for normal pass and Tyranena Brewing Co./Viking Brewpub tour and samples (must be 21+)

Location: 3865 State Hwy. 138, Stoughton

Scare factor: Seriously, you’d better bring an extra pair of pants.

UW Saddle & Sirloin Haunted House

For two nights only, find out what the agricultural side of campus is really like at night. Hint: This ain’t Old McDonald’s farm, kiddos.

Dates: Oct. 29 and 30 from 7 to 10 p.m. (Go after 8 p.m. for the lights off)

Price: $1 per person or one nonperishable food donation

Location: Old Horse Barn, 520 Elm Dr., Madison

Scare factor: May make you a lot more wary of cows.

Spooky shindigs

’80s vs. ’90s: Halloween Costume Ball

Majestic Theatre’s retro dance party gets a ghoulish twist. Come as an 80s/90s TV/movie character or music icon to enter the costume contest.

Date: Nov. 1

Price: $5 per person (must be 21+)

Location: Majestic Theatre, 115 King St., Madison

Haunted Hustle Marathon Ghost Tour

Break in your costume for Freakfest while strolling or sprinting through a tour of haunted, historical sites.

Dates: 5K and 10K at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 25, marathon and half marathon at 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., respectively, on Oct. 26

Price: $38-$90 registration fee per person per race

Location: Races begin at 8312 Forsythia St., Middleton

Fall foliage

Arboretum Trolley Tours

The University of Wisconsin-Madison campus is always gorgeous, but in the fall it gets truly majestic. For the most detailed, up-close-and-personal look at the hundreds of shades of yellow, orange and scarlet the trees turn when the weather gets chillier, head to the UW-Madison Arboretum Sunday and hop on a trolley tour. For the low, low price of free, learn about the history and purpose of the grand arboretum.

Date: Oct. 19 from 1 to 3 p.m. (tours run at the top of each hour, with the last one leaving at 3 p.m.)

Location: 1207 Seminole Hwy., Madison (tours begin  and end at the Visitor Center)

Seasonal suds

Pumpkin spice lattes are overrated. Snag a six-pack of these seasonal brews instead.

1. Oktoberfest (Capital Brewery)

2. Punkin Ale (Dogfish Head)

3. Cinnamon Horchata Ale (Blue Moon)

4. Staghorn (New Glarus)

5. Tour de Fall (New Belgium)

6. Flipside (Sierra Nevada)

7. Caramel Apple Spiced Ale (Blue Moon)

8. Pumpkin Lager (Lakefront)

9. Pumpkin Pie Lust (New Glarus)

10. Harvest Pumpkin Ale (Samuel Adams)