Earlie Wilson

Earlie Wilson spoke of his past troubles and transition into a new life in Madison. He urged students to take full advantage of their educational opportunities at UW-Madison.

The Capitol Profiles: Meet Earlie Wilson

“Nickel, dime, quarter, penny,

Help the needy, not the greedy

Spare change, small change

Little help, little help.”

Two years ago, Earlie Wilson would recite this rhyme to encourage passersby to toss coins into the can he clutched in his outstretched hand.

Today, Wilson can often be found outside the Chipotle on State Street selling copies of Street Pulse, Madison’s homeless cooperative newspaper, for $1 apiece.

Wilson became a Street Pulse vendor in 2012, after the city council banned panhandling in certain downtown areas.

The Chicago native, who moved to Madison to be with his long-term girlfriend, said he was initially surprised at the generosity of the people who passed him on the street.

“These students at Madison know how to give their parents’ money away,” Wilson laughed. “The less I asked them for, the more they gave me.”

Wilson said he uses the estimated $50 a day he earns selling newspapers to stay off the streets and help pay for the apartment he has shared with his girlfriend for the past seven years.

“Home is where the heart is,” Wilson said. “If my girl moves to the moon, I’m moving to the moon to be with my girl.”

This is a sharp contrast to the life Wilson led back in Chicago. He claims he was one of the best pickpockets in the city when he lived there and also admitted to robbing several stores in the area.

Wilson’s habits earned him 22 stints in the penitentiary, which is why he said he left that life behind when he moved.

In spite of the hardships Wilson has faced in his lifetime, he had no trouble recounting his happiest memory: the birth of his first son, Corey, who was born just two months after Wilson’s 14th birthday.

Wilson said he and Corey’s mother, who was 17 years old at the time, focused their energy on raising their son.

“I’m a good person, I don’t want no trouble,” Wilson said.

Stemming from his personal experiences, Wilson said he would advise students that pass him on State Street to take advantage of their access to education.

“Go to school, get your education and don’t let nothing distract you from what you’re doing,” Wilson said.