Commencement Ceremony

A former UW-Madison student celebrates her graduation during last May's commencement ceremony at Camp Randall.

Spring commencement scheduled at Camp Randall for a second year

On May 18, 2014, thousands of Badgers “jumped around” at Camp Randall Stadium as they would on any gameday Saturday, but for the first time in 24 years, the beloved tradition did not indicate the start of a fourth quarter.

Instead, the stadium shook under the feet of UW-Madison’s class of 2014, freshly graduated and displaying its Wisconsin pride.

Last year, spring commencement was held at Camp Randall for the first time since 1990, a tradition that is scheduled to return for a second year this spring.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank and the senior class 2014 committee made the decision to return the event to Camp Randall following the success of last spring’s commencement ceremony, Allison Golden, liaison between commencement ceremonies and the Chancellor’s office, said.

“The chancellor said she was really looking for a way to elevate the commencement, to make it very special and memorable and to give a great showcase for the Wisconsin community,” Golden said.

Golden said initial reactions to the announcement of commencement in Camp Randall were mixed. Parents were disappointed they would not see their children walk across the stage or hear their names read.

However, Golden said she did not receive any negative feedback from parents following last year’s ceremony.

Class of 2014 graduate and class secretary Nick Checker said some expressed concern that students would not receive the same recognition at Camp Randall, forgoing the “two seconds of fame” they would otherwise enjoy at the Kohl Center.

Ultimately, Checker deemed commencement a success.

“[Commencement] went seamlessly in terms of logistics and organization,” he said.

Senior Class Committee President Maria Giannopolous said that she, her committee and the chancellor did not have to think twice about the return to Camp Randall.

Giannopolous said Camp Randall’s ability to hold all the graduates at once makes commencement ceremonies more convenient and organized.

She also said commencement at Camp Randall holds sentimental value for her because it is “so deeply rooted into tradition.”

“Something that I’ve always enjoyed is being able to go to Camp Randall for gameday,” Giannopolous said. “I think it’s a really great way to end out my senior year and graduate in a place that means so much to me.”